Quantum Mechanics: Explained for a Novice

In summary, quantum mechanics allows for the possibility of two events occurring with different results, depending on the measurement made.
... a small addition to the discussion ...

Hi,
the main problem physicists have in front of them is NOT to explain "why" things happens, but "how" they do. In this sense, having a perfectly working, purely probabilistic theory to explain the behaviour of electrons, or whatever, should be just enough for a physicist.
Tring to find some hidden reason behind that thery or, even worst, behind its mathematical representation (which is basically the most convenient tool to expose the theory using a shared language), it's matter of philosophy, not physics.
I think this discussion'd better placed in www.phylosophyforums.com[/URL] :)
What do you think?
bye
Fabio

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like it or not, interpretation is one of the things physicists do. "Shut up and calculate" is good advice but it only works as long as you are calculating. Many physicists - and some of the best of them - concern themselves with questions of interpretation, and we can't just delegate that job to the physicsits.

What I wish is that somebody would lay out the consistent histories approach, not the dumbed down version for the public but the one with the details that impresses some of the finest minds in physics.

FabioF:

I know for a fact that the questions I'm asking can be answered by the "how" branch i.e. science. I'm not interested in interpretations so much as I'm interested in the facts that lead to problems that lead to interpretations. I'm all for sticking to the facts until I can understand them.

Just on a side note, there is no branch of thinking that can adequately deal with the "why", not even philosophy - unless you completely discount causality.

<h2>1. What is quantum mechanics?</h2><p>Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how these particles interact and how they can exist in multiple states at the same time.</p><h2>2. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?</h2><p>Classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects, such as planets and cars, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their ability to exist in multiple states at once.</p><h2>3. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?</h2><p>Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in fields such as electronics, computing, and medicine. For example, transistors and computer chips are based on quantum mechanics principles, and MRI machines use quantum mechanics to create images of the human body.</p><h2>4. Can quantum mechanics be understood by someone without a background in physics?</h2><p>While quantum mechanics can be complex and difficult to understand, it is possible for someone without a background in physics to grasp the basic concepts. It may require some effort and studying, but there are many resources available that explain quantum mechanics in simpler terms.</p><h2>5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?</h2><p>One common misconception about quantum mechanics is that it only applies to the microscopic world and has no relevance to our everyday lives. In reality, quantum mechanics has many practical applications and plays a role in the functioning of many modern technologies. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics can explain supernatural phenomena, which is not supported by scientific evidence.</p>

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how these particles interact and how they can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects, such as planets and cars, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their ability to exist in multiple states at once.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in fields such as electronics, computing, and medicine. For example, transistors and computer chips are based on quantum mechanics principles, and MRI machines use quantum mechanics to create images of the human body.

4. Can quantum mechanics be understood by someone without a background in physics?

While quantum mechanics can be complex and difficult to understand, it is possible for someone without a background in physics to grasp the basic concepts. It may require some effort and studying, but there are many resources available that explain quantum mechanics in simpler terms.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

One common misconception about quantum mechanics is that it only applies to the microscopic world and has no relevance to our everyday lives. In reality, quantum mechanics has many practical applications and plays a role in the functioning of many modern technologies. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics can explain supernatural phenomena, which is not supported by scientific evidence.