Top Physics Olympiad Books for 11th Graders: Recommendations and Tips

In summary, for an 11th grader preparing for next year's Olympiad, it is recommended to use Young & Freedman's "University Physics" extended edition as it covers all the necessary topics such as mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, relativity, and quantum physics. The extended edition also includes modern physics, which is important for the international final. It is available on Amazon, but if that doesn't work, the person should specify their location. It is advised to get the edition with modern physics as it provides a good contrast to other textbooks. Other recommended textbooks include Halliday/Resnick and Tipler/Mosca, but they do not cover modern physics in as much depth. Young & Freedman's
1st2fall
I'm an 11th grader finishing Mechanics and Emag and I would like to ask you for your advice on textbooks and material I will need to cover to prepare for next years Olympiad. The book I used for Mech/Emag is by Tipler/Mosca. I have heard Halliday/Resnick is good but I don't know for which topics I could use it. I own Irodov's and have worked through most of the Kinematics and am hoping to start the next section soon.

Thank you in advanced for your time and thoughts

Physics news on Phys.org
Young & Freedman "University Physics" extended edition should cover everything you'll need. It covers all the mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, relativity and quantum physics which will be on the internation final, to my knowledge.

Last edited:
espen180 said:
Young & Freedman "University Physics" extended edition should cover everything you'll need. It covers all the mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, relativity and quantum physics which will be on the internation final, to my knowledge.
How can I acquire this book? Also... what does the extended cover that the normal version does not?

1st2fall said:
How can I acquire this book?

If amazon.com doesn't work for you, it might help if you give us some idea of where in the world you are located.

1st2fall said:
Also... what does the extended cover that the normal version does not?

Modern physics, like relativity theory, quantum physics and particle physics.

Yes, a lot of textbooks at the level come in versions with and without modern physics. In fact, Tipler/Mosca is one of them, so 1st2fall must have the version without. If he likes what he has already, he might consider getting Volume 3 which contains only the modern physics chapters:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1429201347/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes I forgot about Tipler but that does not go into nearly as much depth as it should for physicists. Tipler is more of your engineering/chemistry take on physics.

I would recommend the same as espen180, Young & Freedman University Physics with Modern Physics. Not only would it help you for the olympiad but if you wish to pursue a degree in physics then Young & Freedman will be your reference book for your first two years (freshman and sophomore).

Last edited:

Related to Top Physics Olympiad Books for 11th Graders: Recommendations and Tips

1. What makes a book a good resource for studying for the Physics Olympiad?

A good Physics Olympiad book should have a comprehensive coverage of the topics, clear explanations, challenging problems with detailed solutions, and practice tests that mimic the actual exam format. It should also be written by reputable authors or published by a trusted source.

2. Are there any specific books that are recommended for 11th graders preparing for the Physics Olympiad?

Yes, there are many books that are recommended for 11th graders preparing for the Physics Olympiad. Some popular choices include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the required topics.

3. How should I use these books to effectively prepare for the Physics Olympiad?

It is recommended to start by reading the fundamental concepts and theories from the book and then move on to solving problems. Make sure to understand the solutions and practice similar problems from the book. You can also use the practice tests provided in the book to assess your progress and identify areas that need more attention.

4. Are there any additional resources that can supplement these books for studying for the Physics Olympiad?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and study guides that can supplement the books and provide additional practice. It is also helpful to participate in study groups or attend review sessions with classmates or tutors.

5. How should I balance studying from books and practicing problems for the Physics Olympiad?

It is important to have a balance between studying the theoretical concepts from the books and practicing problems. Allocate your study time according to your strengths and weaknesses, but make sure to regularly review and practice both the concepts and problems. It is also helpful to keep track of your progress and make adjustments to your study plan as needed.