Top Grades for MIT - What Do They Mean?

• Thread starter Mika-Yugo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades Mit
In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding what is meant by "top grades" when referring to prestigious universities like MIT. The general consensus was that it refers to close to perfect scores on standardized tests such as SATs, SAT IIs, and AP exams, as well as being at the top of one's high school class. However, it was also mentioned that these scores are evaluated within the context of the applicant's overall profile. The minimum TOEFL score for international students at MIT is 577.
Mika-Yugo
Hello all,

When i read top grades for MIT or other Us, what do you ppl mean by that?
How top (high) grades, what % someones marks and/or averages have to be?

I really do not understand it. Thank you all, Mika

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say close to if not perfect scores on SAT's and SAT II's in math and science. Perfect scores in AP exams. At the top of your class in high school, unless you go to a competitive and well-known public high school or prep school.

Juvenile, thank you very much. Although my high school marks are at the top but it would be to much stress for me and my parents.

sorry,sorry, I did mean juvenal, sorry

Here's what MIT says about SAT scores:

Competitive Scores

For students we admitted in 2004, the middle 50% score range was between 680-770 for SAT-I: Verbal and 730-800 for SAT-I: Math. We do not have cutoff scores for the SAT I and SAT II, as scores are evaluated within an applicant's context.

For the TOEFL exam, the institute minimum is 577 (233 on the computer-based exam).

Related to Top Grades for MIT - What Do They Mean?

1. What is the grading system at MIT?

The grading system at MIT is based on a letter grade scale from A to F, with A being the highest grade and F being a failing grade. Pluses and minuses are also used to indicate a grade slightly above or below the letter grade. In addition, there is a Pass/No Record (P/NR) option for certain classes where a grade is not given, but credit is awarded for a passing grade.

2. How are grades calculated at MIT?

Grades at MIT are calculated based on a weighted average of all assignments, exams, and participation throughout the semester. Each class has its own grading policy, but generally, exams and major assignments hold more weight in the final grade calculation.

3. What is considered a top grade at MIT?

A top grade at MIT is typically an A or an A+ for letter grades or a P for classes with the P/NR option. These grades indicate outstanding performance in the class and are often awarded to students who demonstrate mastery of the subject material.

4. How do top grades at MIT compare to other universities?

MIT is known for its rigorous academic standards, so top grades at MIT may be more difficult to achieve compared to other universities. However, since grading policies and standards vary among different universities, it is not accurate to compare top grades based solely on the letter grade or percentage received.

5. What do top grades at MIT mean for a student's academic success?

Top grades at MIT indicate that a student has excelled in their studies and has a strong understanding of the subject material. This can be a good indicator of future academic success and may open up opportunities for research, internships, and other opportunities within the field of study.