Tools to differentiate silver from molybdenum

In summary, if you want to test if a coin is silver or molybdenum, you can use a metal detector to test for a change in oscillator frequency.
bluemoonKY
I remember reading on a blog or a news article on the internet once that sometimes counterfeiters have made fake silver coins and silver bars out of molybdenum. Silver is worth far more than molybdenum. Counterfeiters made fake silver out of molybdenum because they could acquire the molybdenum for a low price and then sell the molybdenum at silver prices. The source said that the electrical and thermal conductivities of molybdenum are far different than the electrical and thermal conducitivities of silver, and that is how one can use certain tools to differentiate silver from molybdenum. I cannot find the old source on the internet.

What tools can be used to differentiate silver from molybdenum by looking at thermal and electrical conductivities?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To test the resistivity would require a 4 terminal resistance meter, two far terminals to inject a current, with the two closer terminals to measure the voltage drop proportional to resistivity.

You might drop or roll a coin through the poles of a strong magnet. Conductive material will fall slower than a resistive material due to higher eddy currents in the good conductor.

There are electro-magnetic gauges, (NOT ultrasonic), used to measure the thickness of steel plate from one side. Maybe they will give a significantly different reading for a fake coin.

Silver is diamagnetic, molybdenum is paramagnetic. So maybe you could measure the detuning of a resonant circuit, when a coin is brought into the coil.

Galvanic cell with one known silver electrode .

Actual coins by weight .

Last edited:
DrDu said:
Silver is diamagnetic, molybdenum is paramagnetic. So maybe you could measure the detuning of a resonant circuit, when a coin is brought into the coil.

Could you translate the second sentence in a less technical way please? I don't know what measuring the detuning of a resonant circuit even means.

bluemoonKY said:
I don't know what measuring the detuning of a resonant circuit even means.
An inductor has an inductance, L, and a loss or Q determined in part by the core material.
If you have a free running LC oscillator and pass the coin through the coil there will be a change of oscillator frequency. The degree of change will discriminate between the two metals. It is like a simple metal detector.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_oscillator#Feedback_oscillator

Related to Tools to differentiate silver from molybdenum

1. How can I differentiate between silver and molybdenum using tools?

There are a few different tools that can be used to differentiate between silver and molybdenum. One option is to use a magnet - silver is not magnetic, so it will not be attracted to the magnet, while molybdenum is slightly magnetic. Another tool is a streak plate - by rubbing the mineral on a streak plate, silver will leave a black streak while molybdenum will leave a greenish-grey streak. Finally, a chemical test using nitric acid can also be used to differentiate between the two metals.

2. What is the difference between silver and molybdenum?

Silver and molybdenum are two different chemical elements with distinct properties. Silver (Ag) has a higher atomic number and is a better conductor of electricity and heat compared to molybdenum (Mo). It also has a higher melting point and is more malleable and ductile. Additionally, silver is commonly used in jewelry and currency, while molybdenum is often used in industrial and technological applications.

3. Can I use a magnet to differentiate between silver and molybdenum?

Yes, a magnet can be used to differentiate between silver and molybdenum. Silver is not magnetic, so it will not be attracted to a magnet, while molybdenum is slightly magnetic. This can be a quick and easy way to determine which metal you are dealing with.

4. Are there any other methods to differentiate between silver and molybdenum besides using tools?

Yes, besides using tools, there are also chemical tests that can be used to differentiate between silver and molybdenum. One common method is the nitric acid test - silver will not react with nitric acid, while molybdenum will produce a greenish-grey solution. It is important to handle chemicals safely and with proper precautions when conducting these tests.

5. How can I be sure that the tool I am using is accurately differentiating between silver and molybdenum?

To ensure accurate differentiation between silver and molybdenum, it is important to use multiple tools and methods. This will help to confirm the results and rule out any potential errors. It is also recommended to consult with a trained professional or conduct further research to verify the accuracy of your findings.