Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Toolbar changes

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hello, everyone!

Thanks to a volunteer coder from MHB, jakncoke, we've been able to add some new buttons to the editor toolbar that weren't possible before. It seems like it should be an easy thing to do but for some reason vBulletin makes it a bit tricky. It requires a completely custom PHP plugin that jakncoke was gracious enough to write from scratch and tweak over a couple of days. We thank him very much!!

So here's what we did:

1) Added a justify all button, like Bacterius requested.
2) Added a Latex button. This uses the math tags, so it is the same as wrapping code in a single dollar sign and \displaystyle.
3) Rearranged and regrouped buttons to be slightly easier to use.

Known bugs:

None! jakncoke actually just fixed the one bug we were aware of.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. We can add new buttons pretty easily now where we want so if you have a good idea for one don't be shy. :)

Jameson

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hello, everyone!

Thanks to a volunteer coder from MHB, jakncoke, we've been able to add some new buttons to the editor toolbar that weren't possible before. It seems like it should be an easy thing to do but for some reason vBulletin makes it a bit tricky. It requires a completely custom PHP plugin that jakncoke was gracious enough to write from scratch and tweak over a couple of days. We thank him very much!!

So here's what we did:

1) Added a justify all button, like Bacterius requested.
2) Added a Latex button. This uses the math tags, so it is the same as wrapping code in a single dollar sign and \displaystyle.
3) Rearranged and regrouped buttons to be slightly easier to use.

Known bugs:

None! jakncoke actually just fixed the one bug we were aware of.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. We can add new buttons pretty easily now where we want so if you have a good idea for one don't be shy. :)

Jameson
Good work!

I think the right-and-left-justify button would make more sense next to the left justify, right justify, and center buttons. Then all the arrangement buttons would be in the same place. I think it might also make sense to get rid of any buttons that people simply don't use - I bet people don't really use the table buttons. At least, I haven't seen too many of those around.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
That's truly awesome! (Cool)

The toolbar looks clean and well organized...the best I have seen!

I wish to thank everyone who worked on this project to make posting here even more streamlined. You guys deserve a round of applause! (Clapping)

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
[JUSTIFY]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, $\mathbb{R}$ sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip $ax + b$ ex ea commodo consequat. Duis $e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0$ aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt $\sin{(\theta)}$ in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]And I think the LaTeX button is a welcome addition, especially for new members who may not be familiar with the dollar signs - the button would improve discoverability of the LaTeX feature.[/JUSTIFY]

Thumbs up to the administrators for these great enhancements (Yes)(Yes)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Fantastic , a special thank to jakncoke and who ever participated in that enhancement , I have long been waiting for that ...

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Oops, big mistake!!!!

Sorry guys, you weren't even seeing the proper version of what we worked on. Ok, I had to disable part of the code which is going to make visitor messages look weird, but now you should see the rearranging part. I bet some of you were thinking "that doesn't look that great", haha.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, this does look more like what I expected...I just figured it was a "work in progress."

I am really liking the \(\displaystyle \LaTeX\) button...(Yes)

Time to begin exploring the other added features...

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
I apologize for my inability but, with the new toolbar, I have some difficulties in inserting pitcures and in managing attachements... is there any 'instruction book' about this tool?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I apologize for my inability but, with the new toolbar, I have some difficulties in inserting pitcures and in managing attachements... is there any 'instruction book' about this tool?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
I had the same trouble with inserting an image. I actually had to type the [img] [/img] tags by hand. It seems strange to have a button for video insertion but not one for images.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Could you please elaborate? What are you trying to do and when does the problem occur?

I had the same trouble with inserting an image. I actually had to type the [img] [/img] tags by hand. It seems strange to have a button for video insertion but not one for images.
This was an oversight. We can definitely add an image button and I'll get on that as soon as possible. Assuming no unforeseen problems, it should be added at latest by this weekend.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Could you please elaborate? What are you trying to do and when does the problem occur?...
Hi Jameson!... in the past it was very easy for me to insert images, having both the capability to upload files from the web using
or from my computer using the button on the toolbar... now for reasons I don't know the
command doesn't work in some cases and to upload images from my computer I necessarly have to use the 'attachements' command. The problem however is that today I had to post the following image...

... and the only way I found to do it is the use of 'attachement' mahagement command. Yhe problem now is that with this image the memory of the attachenents is full and I don't know how to delete old images. In other words I'm not able at the moment to post more images. Any help from You is greatly appreciated...

ThankYou very much!...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Ok, the image button is back. Sorry about that everyone!