Tokamak Fusion Requirements: Ideal Materials & Current

• Thread starter VelociBlade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tokamak
In summary, amateur D-D fusors placed in close proximity to X-ray machines can produce high levels of radiation.
VelociBlade
What are the minimum standards for tokamak fusion? For instance, What are the ideal materials? Should you use deuterium, tritium, or a mixture of the two? How much current do you run through it before it confines the hydrogen gas enough to create fusion? Please answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind the hydrogen types and the current problem, I found those out. Still would like to know which would be better for body construction - stainless steel or something else.

weren't they trying to contain it with a magnetic field. are u wondering what to use to pass the current through , as for the construction I am sure steel or stainless steel would be good as any .

Are you sure steel will work? I don't want a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinch_(plasma_physics)" going on - That'll set me back a bit.

cragar: Yeah, I would like to know what kind of wire to pass it through to optimise magnetic pressure, I'm thinking of using copper.

Last edited by a moderator:
So- with a steel torus, copper wire, and deuterium gas, plus vacuum pumps, a high voltage power transformer and controls, I could theoretically make a device capable of creating fusion, right? The idea I had for this thread is that it would help me decide the materials I would need for making one at home. The guy in the address below made a stellarator, and I'm pretty sure I can build a tokamak for myself.

http://es.geocities.com/queralv/Home1.htm"

VelociBlade said:
So- with a steel torus, copper wire, and deuterium gas, plus vacuum pumps, a high voltage power transformer and controls, I could theoretically make a device capable of creating fusion, right? The idea I had for this thread is that it would help me decide the materials I would need for making one at home. The guy in the address below made a stellarator, and I'm pretty sure I can build a tokamak for myself.

VB, what is your intention in this? Since break-even tokamaks don't exist yet, you are intending to build a model of a sub-break-even one? Like for a museum or exhibit or something?

I am not trying to "break even" - I am trying to creat a tokamak that can achieve enough fusion through magnetic compression and ohmic heating to be detected by a http://www.bubbletech.ca/radiation_detectors_files/Bubble%20Detectors.html" . In other words, I am hardly attempting a tokamak on the scales of ITER and the like. My main objective here is to prove that DIY tokamak fusion is possible.

VelociBlade said:
I am not trying to "break even" - I am trying to creat a tokamak that can achieve enough fusion through magnetic compression and ohmic heating to be detected by a http://www.bubbletech.ca/radiation_detectors_files/Bubble%20Detectors.html" for fusors.

VelociBlade said:
I am not trying to "break even" - I am trying to creat a tokamak that can achieve enough fusion through magnetic compression and ohmic heating to be detected by a http://www.bubbletech.ca/radiation_detectors_files/Bubble%20Detectors.html" . In other words, I am hardly attempting a tokamak on the scales of ITER and the like. My main objective here is to prove that DIY tokamak fusion is possible.

There was a running joke during the height of the Fleishmann-Pons "cold fusion" debacle that went something like this:

"Did you hear the bad news about Fleishmann and Pons' assistants?"

"Yeah, they're still alive!"

As with the "do-it-yourself" accelerator thread, there is a significant safety element here that may be overlooked. The creation of neutrons in any experiment is one of the most dangerous thing you can produce, not just because it can directly hit you, but also due to the fact that it can induce residual radiation that lingers for a long time, long after you've switched off the instrument.

I would seriously question anyone giving a DIY fusion device advice of any kind, especially when a person has never worked with any fusion devices previously and is ignorant of not only safety regulations surrounding such a device, but also how dangerous something like this can be.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
"Did you hear the bad news about Fleishmann and Pons' assistants?"

"Yeah, they're still alive!"

Oh man, Zapper! You owe me a new keyboard. :smile:

While recognizing there are regulations on any type of device producing ionizing radiation, these amateur D-D fusors that place in http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921262.html" are hard put to produce more than ~50e3 neutrons/s, or ~6k mrem/s/sq_cm or 0.2 mrem/sec/sq_cm at 0.5 meters using 8 n/s/sq cm/mrem (ICRU - 1971) with 2.45 mev neutrons. I expect more attention need be paid to X-ray hazzards and high voltage handling in general with these devices.

I am planning to cover the high voltage wires with pvc piping and will have a little light that shows when the machine is on, so people will know to stay away from it. When not in use, it will be unplugged and the deuterium bottle will be taken off. When being handled, I will wear safety goggles, and rubber gloves to protect me. What other safety precautions do you recommend?

-mheslep: I am not trying to go for the "easy" approach to fusion. I want to be able to prove that DIY tokamak fusion is possible

ZapperZ said:
The creation of neutrons in any experiment is one of the most dangerous thing you can produce, not just because it can directly hit you, but also due to the fact that it can induce residual radiation that lingers for a long time, long after you've switched off the instrument.

VelociBlade said:
and will have a little light that shows when the machine is on, so people will know to stay away from it.

Don't you see a conflict with these two statements?

I think this discussion has gone on long enough. VB, you really need to get a clue about the dangers involved. Thread locked.

Related to Tokamak Fusion Requirements: Ideal Materials & Current

1. What materials are ideal for use in a tokamak fusion reactor?

The ideal materials for use in a tokamak fusion reactor are those that can withstand extremely high temperatures and intense radiation, while also maintaining their structural integrity. These materials include refractory metals such as tungsten and molybdenum, as well as advanced ceramics like boron nitride and silicon carbide.

2. How does the current in a tokamak fusion reactor affect its performance?

The current in a tokamak fusion reactor is responsible for creating and maintaining the magnetic field that confines the plasma. This magnetic field is crucial for preventing the hot plasma from touching the walls of the reactor, which could damage or destroy the materials. Therefore, the higher the current, the stronger the magnetic field and the better the performance of the reactor.

3. What is the maximum temperature that materials in a tokamak fusion reactor must withstand?

The materials in a tokamak fusion reactor must withstand temperatures of over 100 million degrees Celsius. This extreme temperature is necessary to create the conditions for nuclear fusion to occur, where two atoms combine to form a heavier element, releasing large amounts of energy in the process.

4. How do scientists test the suitability of materials for use in a tokamak fusion reactor?

Scientists use various techniques to test the suitability of materials for use in a tokamak fusion reactor. These include subjecting the materials to extreme temperatures, radiation, and high-energy particles, as well as studying their behavior under intense magnetic fields. Computer simulations and modeling are also used to predict how materials will perform in a tokamak fusion reactor.

5. Are there any challenges in finding ideal materials for a tokamak fusion reactor?

Yes, there are several challenges in finding ideal materials for a tokamak fusion reactor. One major challenge is finding materials that can withstand the extreme conditions inside the reactor without degrading or becoming radioactive. Another challenge is finding materials that are cost-effective and readily available. Additionally, the constant exposure to high-energy particles can cause materials to become brittle over time, which requires continuous research and development to find more durable materials.