To write x as a function of time doubt.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the equivalence of two equations (a) and (b) when x is written as a function of time. The speaker has substituted values for x_i, v_f, v_i, t, and a and is questioning why the two equations do not produce the same answer. The expert explains that the chosen values are physically impossible and provides an example of a valid set of values. The speaker also asks about the mathematical aspect of the equations, to which the expert confirms their equivalence. The conversation ends with the speaker admitting their mistake and expressing a need for some rest.
naaa00
Hello!

Homework Statement

It is more a conceptual problem. If all the variables are known, and I am asked to write x as a function of time, why the equations below are not equivalent when equation (b) is derived from (a) after substituting "v_f = v_i + at" ?

(a) x_f = x_i + 1/2(v_f + v_ i)(t)

(b) x_f = x_i + v_i(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

If I suppose: x_i = 0, v_f = 50, v_i = 0, t = 5, and a= 3.33. Am I supposed to get same answers? It seems not, and I don't understand why.

I could say that x = 0 + 1/2(a)(t^2) = 1/2(3.33)(t^2) or x_f = 1.67(t^2). [using (b)]

But for (a) x_f = 0 + 1/2(50)(t) or x_f = 25(t)

Physics news on Phys.org
naaa00 said:
If I suppose: x_i = 0, v_f = 50, v_i = 0, t = 5, and a= 3.33.
These numbers don't make sense. (You can't just pick arbitrary values and expect it to work.)

Ok. But may I ask two more questions?

(a) Why these numbers do not make sense? physicaly impossible? What sort of numbers would make sense?

(b) And if looked from a mathematical point of view, why both equations must have particular values in order to be equivalent? Or are they not equivalent?

Last edited:
naaa00 said:
Ok. But may I ask two more questions?

(a) Why these numbers do not make sense? physicaly impossible? What sort of numbers would make sense?
Yes, those numbers are physically impossible. For example: If vi = 0, vf = 50, t = 5, then a is determined by the physics to be 50/5 = 10 m/s2.
(b) And if looked from a mathematical view, why both equations must have particular values in order to be equivalent? Or are they not equivalent?
They are equivalent.

Well, now I see clearly the mistake. I am only going to say that this is depressing. Perhaps I need some rest.

Thank you!

Related to To write x as a function of time doubt.

1. What does it mean to write x as a function of time?

Writing x as a function of time means expressing the variable x in terms of time. This means that the value of x is dependent on the value of time, and can be represented as a mathematical equation.

2. How do you write x as a function of time?

To write x as a function of time, you need to first identify the variables and their relationship. Then, use the variable of time as the independent variable and express x in terms of it using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Why is it important to write x as a function of time?

Writing x as a function of time allows for a better understanding of how the variable changes over time. It also helps in predicting future values of x based on the value of time, and in analyzing the relationship between x and time.

4. Can x be written as a function of time in any situation?

Yes, x can be written as a function of time in most situations where the value of x is dependent on the value of time. This includes physical phenomena, financial data, and many other real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any specific steps to follow when writing x as a function of time?

There is no specific set of steps to follow when writing x as a function of time, as it depends on the specific situation and variables involved. However, it is important to clearly identify the variables and their relationship and to use appropriate mathematical operations to express x in terms of time.