To take DiFF EQ vs. PDE (sequence)

In summary, the individual is registering for spring 2016 courses and is considering taking a math course. They have the option between two courses, 430 Formal Logic and 481 Applied Partial Differential Equations, and they are a math and physics double major. They have taken an introductory differential equations course and are interested in taking further classes in this subject. However, due to time constraints, they cannot take class 480: Applied Differential Equations this semester. Their question is whether they should wait and take 480 before 481 or if they can take 481 without taking 480. The individual is also considering taking Formal Logic, but it is not necessary for their interests in mathematical physics. They have been assured that their previous course,
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Greetings all,

I am registering for spring 2016 courses and have one question.

I can pick up a math course and I have the option between two courses: 430 Formal Logic vs. 481 Applied Partial Differential Equations.

I am a math and physics double major.

Course list and description: http://catalog.uic.edu/ucat/course-descriptions/math/

I have taking the intro to diff equations course 220.
I think taking further differential equation courses would be a very good idea for me and my future.
However, due to time constraints of other courses I cannot take class 480: Applied Differential equations this semester.

So my question is: Is there a reason why I should wait and take 480 Applied Differential Equations before I take class 481 Partial Differential Equations? Will I be unprepared for 481 if I do not take 480 first? Or are they completely separate.

If so, is there any reason to consider taking Formal Logic over 481 knowing that I am interested in mathematical physics? I would think PDE would help me more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, 220 will be enough preparation for 481.

There is no reason to take Formal logic for physics unless logic is of a significant interest to you.

Likes RJLiberator
Thank you for the response! That helps.

Related to To take DiFF EQ vs. PDE (sequence)

1. What is the difference between differential equations and partial differential equations?

Differential equations involve only a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Additionally, partial differential equations involve partial derivatives, while differential equations involve ordinary derivatives.

2. Which course should I take first, differential equations or partial differential equations?

It is recommended to take differential equations before attempting partial differential equations, as it provides a foundation for understanding more complex concepts.

3. What are the applications of differential equations and partial differential equations?

Differential equations and partial differential equations are used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and solve complex systems. They are also used in many areas of scientific research.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking a course on differential equations or partial differential equations?

It is recommended to have a strong understanding of calculus, including integration and differentiation, before taking a course on differential equations or partial differential equations.

5. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations and partial differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations and partial differential equations include separation of variables, using integrating factors, and using Laplace transforms. Other techniques may be specific to the type of equation being solved.