Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

To know each other more ...

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I am really interested in knowing more about our members here . Some of which I might not know their real names and interests . Just to start this thread I will introduce myself ...

I am Zaid , and I study in KSA .I am in the third-year at university majoring in computer science . I am interested in special functions and associated integrals and series representations. I enjoy playing football and electronic games .

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I never actually posted an introduction topic when I joined.

My name is Mark, I am 49 years old, and I live in the oldest city in the United States, St. Augustine, Florida.

I was born in Chicago, Illinois and about 18 months later my family moved 300 miles to the south to Evansville, Indiana where I would be raised until I joined the U.S. Navy. I was sent to Great Lakes Illinois for recruit training (boot camp), and after completing a brief seamanship school, I was sent to San Diego, California to serve aboard the U.S.S. Bristol County, LST 1198. She was a Newport class tank landing ship, designed to carry some 400 U.S. Marines right up onto the beach, there to offload them and their equipment, vehicles, etc. As she was meant for beaching, she has a flat hull, and so could really rock in high seas. We called ourselves the "rock-n-roll Navy." I got to see many countries in the Far East.

While I was in the Navy, my family had moved to St. Augustine, as this is where my father was born and raised and he always wanted to return, as the northern climate and "Yankee attitudes" made him homesick. (Wasntme)

Once I was discharged from the Navy, I came here to be with family, and worked various odd jobs, cooking in restaurants, construction, laying fiber-optic cable (I was part of the boring crew which bored tunnels under the railway crossings, got paid $2/ft, so we humped it! :D). I eventually found myself working on a cattle ranch, and around this time the personal computer was becoming popular, and so I got one, and began to teach myself programming at night. I ingratiated myself with the owner of the ranch by entering the stock into a database, so we could track age, number of calves (especially prized was knowing which cows had multiple births), location, etc.

As I because more knowledgeable of the PC and MS-DOS, I began to get work helping people set up their PC's and writing apps for them. I quickly realized that knowing some math might make me a better programmer, so I enrolled at the local community college and got a degree in computer science, and took every math course they offered. I realized that I really enjoyed playing around with math, and knowing a bit about it really helped make me a better programmer.

Around this time, I got into keeping domestic fowl, including peafowl, turkey, chickens, guinea fowl, ducks, geese, swans. I have had several St. Bernards as pets, and they are such great dogs. I even had a male/female pair at one time that I bred. Quite an experience. I have always had at least one cat around, and have two right now named Alex and Newton, both females.

I worked for about 15 years as a free lance programmer, and retired. During this time, I was able to realize a life long dream of mine to get into performance cars, buying my first Camaro Z28 in 1999. A few years later I traded it in for a 35th Anniversary Camaro SS, which I still have, and have since modified quite a bit, and then about 4 years later, got a Corvette Z06.

I really got into it, joining forums and learning how to become an expert car detailer. But, my cars are no garage queens; I took some chances pushing these cars, and some might say I am lucky to be alive (my mother took out an insurance policy on me...). Don't get me wrong, I always felt in control, but I have had the Z06 north of 180 mph (that's about 290 kph). Anyway, I think I have gotten that out of my system, and for the last 3 years or so I have devoted much of my time to online math help. I had always kind of played with math all along, but this time involved helping online has really fortified my working knowledge. It is a joy to be involved here at MHB, and I hope to be here for many years to come!

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello,
I am currently study math in SU and I don't really know how long I want to study in SU (the math program I study is 3 year + 2 year which is master) I may consider study the master in Cambridge which has always been a dream... Right now I am unsure what kind of job I want but something with math at least:) I got allot more to learn in math so I will see what subject is most interesting..:)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Now that I'm back from vacations, this is a good topic to restart.

I'm doing the rest of my 3rd year in math, together with some of my 4th year in pure math. I'm 29 and went through a lot of crap because of some serious events in my life. Now I'm ready again. Doing a PhD in math is a dream of mine since very young. I'm interested in category theory with applications to logic and geometry. I'm also a theravada buddhist for 8 years now. :)

rsyed5

Aug 15, 2013
Hi Everyone:)
So I'm just a college student doing Maths B, unlike others here, maths is not my strong point although i try my best. I live in Australia its very nice around here, I like reading manga and watching anime:D At the moment everyone is pressuring me to chose what i want to become as after year 12 I have to decide my career, I'm like a hopeless lost case anyway right now I'm enjoying my life homeschooling:p its totally hard to do, but somehow my dumb brain is managing to keep up with all the smarty pants in my school, so hope i you've somehow managed to stay awake through this introduction. My goal is to get an OP 1 after graduating, and I really want to get As in my maths instead of Cs and that is all folks!

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Hi Everyone:)
So I'm just a college student doing Maths B, unlike others here, maths is not my strong point although i try my best. I live in Australia its very nice around here, I like reading manga and watching anime:D At the moment everyone is pressuring me to chose what i want to become as after year 12 I have to decide my career, I'm like a hopeless lost case anyway right now I'm enjoying my life homeschooling:p its totally hard to do, but somehow my dumb brain is managing to keep up with all the smarty pants in my school, so hope i you've somehow managed to stay awake through this introduction. My goal is to get an OP 1 after graduating, and I really want to get As in my maths instead of Cs and that is all folks!
Hey rsyed5 , welcome to the forums , hope you enjoy your time and achieve your dreams .

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Well - my name is Thomas and I'm a 20 year old student in mathematics and computer science, living in New Zealand. I first started programming when I was 11 or 12, and have been addicted since then (though occasionally I took long breaks to play video games or focus on study or.. other things).

I want to get an exciting job related to programming most of all, because I don't think I am cut out to be an academic, but we'll see how it goes :confused:

Not sure what else to put here, I'm not the most interesting person in the world haha but great reading everybody else's introduction, just sharing mine :)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
All right. I'll go next.

I used to be a 20 year old student in mathematics, physics, and computer science, living in the Netherlands. I first started programming when I was about 11, which is about when the first personal computer came out, and have been addicted since then. I've been putting my focus on playing video games, on study, and also... on other things.

I've been a computer programmer in my professional life, which is a job that I just love. I decided not to become an academic, since I don't really like being closeted up, which I felt somehow came along with the job.

After so many years of programming without much math and physics, I found I missed them. That's why I became active on various forums, and also why I became a private tutor. I've been pretty happy since, doing all the things I've always loved.

Reading other people's bio's I realize that my life has been nothing special. Hehe.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
All right. I'll go next.

I used to be a 20 year old student in mathematics, physics, and computer science, living in the Netherlands. I first started programming when I was about 11, which is about when the first personal computer came out, and have been addicted since then. I've been putting my focus on playing video games, on study, and also... on other things.

I've been a computer programmer in my professional life, which is a job that I just love. I decided not to become an academic, since I don't really like being closeted up, which I felt somehow came along with the job.

After so many years of programming without much math and physics, I found I missed them. That's why I became active on various forums, and also why I became a private tutor. I've been pretty happy since, doing all the things I've always loved.

Reading other people's bio's I realize that my life has been nothing special. Hehe.
And I was so passionate to know your real name or who is that Serena . Sounds like I have to wait for a long time :rolleyes:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
And I was so passionate to know your real name or who is that Serena . Sounds like I have to wait for a long time :rolleyes:
As I read in someone else's signature in a forum where people do know my alias:

The "patience" is called "patience" because it needs about twenty minutes of patience.

;)

ADARSH

Apr 3, 2012
my turn

I am Adarsh, a student about to complete Civil Engineering B-Tech from NIT Calicut .. Its a college in Southern India. (adarsh is a hindi word .. it means 'ideal'

Recently got a job offer for a post of Decision Scientist in a Business Analysis Firm. -and I am also interested in Finite Element Analysis and Environmental Science (focused on wastewater treatment) .. enjoy playing Lawn Tennis.. guitar...and learning languages

books - I love reading Fiction. For me Tolkein is religious and the writing style of Leo Tolstoy is great. Other than fiction i like reading everything i can.
1 book i will suggest: Prodigal Daughter - Jeffrey Archer

maths- Usually I seek help and love the community here... it feels home to be here once in a while even when I am busy.

and if u read closely... u wont find me writing like a 102 year old, I am just 22 (Wasntme)

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
\(\Huge{\color{red}{\text{A}}}\Large{\color{blue}{\text{U}}}\huge{\color{green}{\text{S}}} \large{\color{pink}{\text{T}}} \LARGE{\color{orange}{\text{I}}}\Huge{\color{emerald}{\text{N}}}\)

I suppose I had best hop on the band wagon and tell a little about myself.

I am Austin, I am 19 years old(20 in January). I am from Iowa in the United States, which is an awful state all around. It is hellishly hot during the summer, and brutally cold during the winter. Spring and Autumn, it is perfectly bi-polar, going from hot to cold several times a day.

I was on a farm until the age of 11, at which point my family moved to a city with a better school system. I still worked on that farm until the summer before my senior year of high school(2011). I love to be in the outdoors and work on the equipment and be with the livestock.

When I moved to the city, I learned a love of mathematics, literature and science. Rather odd for a child of my age, but I just couldn't get enough of it. Then once I got into high school, all of my mathematics teachers were awesome and made me love it even more. Then the science teachers got their paws on me and turned me towards the application of said math rather than it's pure form. This is why I am not so good with the theoretical stuff. My physics teacher in high school, she was a former mechanical and bio-medical engineer. She got me hooked on engineering and actually helped me narrow down possible career fields to something that I would enjoy and be good at.

I am currently an Aerospace Engineering student. I am in differential equations right now, and plan to take more mathematics classes. Next year is when I will be getting into the hardcore aerospace classes.

I have a thing for fast cars, motorcycles..... well.... basically anything that would worry my mother. I also love big trucks too(how American of me). I currently own 3 vehicles. A 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis with ~39k miles on it. I have two motorcycles, a 2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R, and a 2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy 100th anniversary screaming eagle edition. I also drive my pop's truck from time to time, but that isn't important.

Anyway, that was a condensed story of me! :)
Love all y'all :D

bergausstein

Jul 30, 2013
hi! i'm an electronics engineering student and currently taking integral calculus. i love math and physics. i'm used to be a beggar who became fortunate to be enrolled in a college because of the kindness of some random people. i want to learn more maths and i hope my stay here in mhb would be beneficial.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
[snip]I am from Iowa in the United States, which is an awful state all around. It is hellishly hot during the summer, and brutally cold during the winter. Spring and Autumn, it is perfectly bi-polar, going from hot to cold several times a day.[/snip]
I hear ya with regards to the weather. I'm originally from the Chicago area in Illinois and you can't get more bi-polar than weather in Chicago. We joke about how you can experience all four seasons in one day at certain times of the year. But when you get down to it, there's really only two seasons in Chicago: Winter and Road Construction. (Rofl)

[HR][/HR]
*Ahem*

Even though I made an introductions thread a while back, I don't mind taking the plunge once again (and going into a lot more detail this time).

So, my name is Christopher (24 years old) and as I mentioned above, I'm originally from Chicagoland (Northwest suburbs) in Illinois. Growing up, I had a lot of aspirations and dreamed alot about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I originally wanted to be a doctor but as I got older, I lost interest in school (was going through a pretty rough time with bullying and all) and started to do pretty bad academically. However, when I was in my junior year in high school, I was told that if I didn't shape up I wouldn't be able to go to college. That scared me so much, I whipped myself into shape and managed to graduate high school with a reasonable 4.00 on the 5.00 scale.

While I was in high school, I started taking classes at my local community college (called Harper College). My original intent was to take pre-calculus at the CC so I could take AP Calculus with my friends during my junior year in high school. Little did I know at the time that this would become a common occurrence; by the time I graduate high school, I had accumulated enough credits though AP & CC (primarily through CC) to have finished my first year of college. So, with that, I started my second year of college a day after I graduated in June 2007.

But why did I decide to study math in college? Well, to make a long story short, I never really liked math growing up; I actually despised it because I couldn't make sense of it. Oh, man...Fate has quite the sense of humor....

One day it just clicked for me and math made complete sense when I was taking Algebra II in 9th grade. From that point on, I kept excelling at math and honed my skills; I managed to finish most of the higher level math courses offered at the CC before graduating high school. At first, during my senior year, I had expressed interest in pursuing mechanical engineering for a career. However, after taking a couple engineering courses at the CC, I realized it wasn't for me. Thus, I was left with the only thing I was really good at: Mathematics.

So after finishing up at the CC, I transferred to Northeastern Illinois University and finished my B.A. in mathematics there. I think I took something along the lines of 20 math courses while I was enrolled there and 5 graduate math courses on top of that. Once I received my degree from NEIU, I went to UC-Santa Cruz for a Ph.D. in math. Unforunately, things wouldn't turn out that way and I had to leave the program due to not passing all the required preliminary exams. However, I was awarded my M.A. in math in March of this year.

For now, I think I've had enough school and need to take a well deserved break. In the meantime, I plan to work for tutoring centers in the San Francisco Bay Area and hope to teach at community colleges. After a couple years, I hope to re-apply to various schools across the US and eventually get that pesky Ph.D. In the end, I want to put most of my emphasis into the art of teaching. I know research is important as an academic, but being able to teach effectively is more important to me.

Whenever I'm not studying math or on this site or whatever, I'm into gaming (primarily PC, even though I have a PS3 as well), singing, playing piano (been at it for 16 years and counting!), and reading history books. Also, thanks to my old housemates, I got hooked on Japanese culture and am into their music, and the otaku lifestyle (reading manga/light novels, watching anime, etc)...but...but I get carried away sometimes try to not let it take over my life Shhhhh PaulRS! XDDDDDD.

Anyways, I think that's more than enough for me to talk about now. If you want to know anything else, shoot me a PM sometime!

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Looking at the replies , I thought I didn't introduce myself properly . So here it goes

I am Zaid , I am originally from Yemen ( called the Happy Land ) and I live in Sana'a. I was born in Aden the economic capital of Yemen but we had to leave due to the job of my father . I was away from technology and internet and only got a computer when I finished a high school . I was obsessed by programming and I wanted to become a programmer but then changed my mind for some reason. I was so interested in getting a scholarship so I worked so hard to get it even though I had to take an extra year to have a better opportunity. After high school I was given so many opportunities to travel to lots of countries because of my high grade but I chose KSA . I didn't show any real interest in mathematics before university but there was a contest in integration so I participated and won the competition. Then I realized that mathematics is my real interest so I started reading lots of books in mathematics especially I was obsessed by complex analysis although I had no background in mathematics beside calculus .

There was a nice professor in my university who gave me the opportunity to attend a graduate course in complex analysis and I benefited so much from it . I registered in many forums in mathematics to be so connected to the subject and knew lots of nice people like you. I am now majoring in computer science in addition to a minor in mathematics and I am so interested in mathematical analysis. I don't know though what to specialize in in the future but I hope to continue the stuff I am attached to the most .

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I hear ya with regards to the weather. I'm originally from the Chicago area in Illinois and you can't get more bi-polar than weather in Chicago. We joke about how you can experience all four seasons in one day at certain times of the year. But when you get down to it, there's really only two seasons in Chicago: Winter and Road Construction. (Rofl)
Oh how true that is. I drive probably 45 minutes to campus each day, ~35mi or so... I'd like to say that close to 1/3 of that is one lane each way because of construction. If there isn't snow on the ground, they are working on the roads. Nice to have a fellow mid-westerner on here :)

On a side note, I think you would be an awesome teacher/professor/instructor.

Last edited:

mathworker

May 31, 2013
Hi,looking around I found this thread, thought I would write something too,

I am Bharat from India.Unlike others on the forum I am not a very smart kid.I like maths from my childhood that continued till now.I am in first year B.Tech in computer science from Indian Institute of Technology,I started coding last year(that is when I got my proper pc), found it interesting(Inlove),I am game-addict,anime-addict:) I like playing cricket,football and volleyball.That's all..:)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Unlike others on the forum I am not a very smart kid.
I am in first year B.Tech in computer science from Indian Institute of Technology
Looking at the IIT page on Wikipedia: Highly competitive entrance examination... Ranked above any other engineering colleges in India... The only three institutes in India in QS World University Rankings... You like contradictions, don't you? (Smile)

I came to think that with some sufficient level of intelligence, hard work and, later, the ability to motivate oneself are more important than an occasional stroke of genius. At least, that is true for the vast majority of us, but probably for people like Newton and Einstein as well.

Feel free to post computer science-related questions to the Discrete Math subforum. I like those.

mathworker

May 31, 2013

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Let's see, I haven't introduced myself well on the previous thread, so ...

I am Balarka from WB, India. I am an 8-th grader (well, 9-th grader now, so I'll just change my profile :D) interested in analytic number theory and theory of equations. I have not been very great in mathematics for years, but somehow I made a chaotic turn and suddenly got very interested in this particular subject. My primary interest was the cubic equation, after learning the quadratic formula. I don't like coding, although being a number theorist, I had to learn it. My "Doing mathematics in an early stage" wasn't appreciated very much until a professor from IISc came here to Kolkata and interviewed me. He invited me to come to IISc this summer, where I hopefully will learn some more number theory. I came to this forum via MarkFL, and I am very grateful he invited me into this community. I am also at MMF, and I hope to be at both forums, staying in two non-disjoint community forever. I will (probably) coauthor a paper with some other collaborators at MMF and (hopefully) have an Erdos number of 5.

Well, that's all. :p

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
I am Pranav (quite obvious from my username :p ) from Rajasthan, India.

I don't have a decorative profile as the above guys. I am basically here to have some help in Mathematics and get my problems and doubts solved so as to prepare myself for the IIT entrance exam where I miserably failed in my first attempt. I believe that with the help from mentors here, I can at least have a decent score this time.

Marvin Kalngan

Jan 19, 2014
Hello math world !
My name is Marvin Kalngan, 30 years old and currently living here in the Philippines.
Nice to meet you all.
Kip on rockin!
(Headbang)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello math world !
My name is Marvin Kalngan, 30 years old and currently living here in the Philippines.
Nice to meet you all.
Kip on rockin!
(Headbang)
Hello and welcome to MHB, Marvin! I hope you find your time here both productive and enjoyable. (Smile)

What area(s) of mathematics are most interesting to you?

Best Regards,

Mark.

Marvin Kalngan

Jan 19, 2014
Hello and welcome to MHB, Marvin! I hope you find your time here both productive and enjoyable. (Smile)

What area(s) of mathematics are most interesting to you?

Best Regards,

Mark.
Thank you very much for the warm welcome. Geometry and trigonometry are the areas of mathematics that are interesting to me.

Regards

FunnyGanesh

Feb 1, 2014
This is my first time when of joining any forum. When very exited to make new friends and get help for my maths problems

I am Ganesh, and i am 18 year old studying in Delhi university