To find the tipping point of a lamina

In summary, the centroid of the remainder is found to be 2.14 meters from the edge of the original plate. If the mass of the remainder is 14 kilograms, the least horizontal force applied at C required to maintain it in equilibrium is 12.2 Newtons.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the tipping point of a lamina
Relevant Equations
Balance of torques
Could I please ask for help with the following:

ABCD is a uniform square metal plate of side 3m. Points E and F are taken on AB and BC respectively such that BE = BF = x m and the portion BEF is removed.

1) Find the distance of the centroid of the remainder from AD

2) Show that the remainder cannot stand in equilibrium on AE with AD vertical unless 2x^3-54x+81 >= 0

3) If the mass of the remainder is 14kg, find in Newtons the least horizontal force applied at C required to maintain it in equilibrium in this position when x = 2.

Here's a diagram:

x.png

1) I believe I'm ok with this part. Let w = weight per unit area of lamina.

Weight of ABCD is 9w
Weight of BEF is (1/2)x^2w
Weight of AEFCD is therefore ( 9 - (1/2)x^2 )w

Distance of COG of ABCD from AD is 3/2
Distance of COG of BED from AD is (3-x+3 + 3) / 3 = (9-x)/3

Equating moments of these parts about AD gives:

9w * (3/2) + (1/2)x^2w * (9-x)/3 = (9 - (1/2)x^2)w * X

where X is the x-ordinate of the centre of gravity = distance of centroid from AD

This solves to give X = (81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2)

2) Given the above answer I would have said that the condition for the remainder to stand in equilibrium with AD vertical would be that X <= 3 - x otherwise the C.O.G. would be to the right of E. So this leads to (81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2) <= x - 3 which (using Wolfram Alpha for speed of checking) leads to x >= 9/2. Not the required answer.

3) OK with this part and it gives me confidence in my answer to part 1 because I get the book answer of 12.2N.

Here we are told that x = 2, and so E is at 3 - 2 = 1. From the above formula we get that X is at 53/42 and so overhangs E by 53/42 - 1 = 11/42. So with a force f acting at C to preserve equilibrium we can say that moments about E should by zero. Force down is 14g = 14 * 10 Newtons . This leads to:

14 * 10 * (11/42) + f * 3 = 0

Which solves to give f = 12.2 Newtons.

Thanks for any help with part 2.

Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnits said:
2) Given the above answer I would have said that the condition for the remainder to stand in equilibrium with AD vertical would be that X <= 3 - x otherwise the C.O.G. would be to the right of E. So this leads to (81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2) <= x - 3 which (using Wolfram Alpha for speed of checking) leads to x >= 9/2. Not the required answer.
"(81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2) <= x - 3"
should be
(81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2) <= 3 - x

Other thoughts...

x= 9/2 (m) clearly can't be correct because the maximum possible value of x is 3m (as you probably already realize).

The question only asks you to show ##2x^3 - 54x+81 ≥ 0##, not to determine the ‘critical value’ of x. So you are not asked to solve ##2x^3 - 54x+81 = 0##. You just need to simplify$$\frac {81 – x^2(9-x)} {3(18-x^2)} ≤ 3-x$$to show it gives the required inequality.

Steve4Physics said:
"(81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2) <= x - 3"
should be
(81 - x^2(9-x)) / 3(18-x^2) <= 3 - x

Other thoughts...

x= 9/2 (m) clearly can't be correct because the maximum possible value of x is 3m (as you probably already realize).

The question only asks you to show ##2x^3 - 54x+81 ≥ 0##, not to determine the ‘critical value’ of x. So you are not asked to solve ##2x^3 - 54x+81 = 0##. You just need to simplify$$\frac {81 – x^2(9-x)} {3(18-x^2)} ≤ 3-x$$to show it gives the required inequality.
Thanks very much. Massive help. I see it now.
Mitch.

Likes Steve4Physics

Related to To find the tipping point of a lamina

1. What is a lamina?

A lamina is a thin layer or sheet of material, such as paper, plastic, or metal, that is typically flat and flexible.

2. Why is it important to find the tipping point of a lamina?

Knowing the tipping point of a lamina is important for understanding its structural integrity and potential failure. This information can be used to design stronger and more durable materials.

3. How is the tipping point of a lamina determined?

The tipping point of a lamina is typically determined through experiments where a force is gradually applied to the lamina until it reaches a critical point where it starts to deform or fail.

4. What factors can affect the tipping point of a lamina?

The tipping point of a lamina can be influenced by various factors such as the material's thickness, composition, and shape, as well as the type and magnitude of the force applied to it.

5. What are the potential applications of knowing the tipping point of a lamina?

Knowing the tipping point of a lamina can have practical applications in industries such as construction, aerospace, and automotive, where materials are subjected to various forces and need to withstand them without failure.