To estimate the required torque

In summary, the torque required to rotate a pulley with a radius of 26mm and a mass of 100N attached to it via a string is T = f * r (N-m). The equation T = I * alpha comes into play when the pulley has non-negligible mass and you want to find its angular acceleration. Increasing the width of the pulley does not have a direct effect on the equation, but it will increase the value of moment of inertia (I) due to the added material.
ravipatil666
a mass of 100N has to be lifted up via string attached to pulley.
What is the torque required to rotate that pulley

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

ravipatil666 said:
a mass of 100N has to be lifted up via string attached to pulley.
What is the torque required to rotate that pulley

Hi ravipatil666! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Torque = distance "cross" force …

so what is the radius of the pulley? :wink:

the pulley has 26mm radius..
f=m*g
r=.026
and T=f*r (N-m)
thats it?

and thanks 4 my post tiny-tim

ravipatil666 said:
the pulley has 26mm radius..
f=m*g
r=.026
and T=f*r (N-m)
thats it?

Yup! It's as easy as that! :biggrin:

(except that you don't need the "g", since the mass is given to you in Newtons, not kg, anyway :wink: )

oh you my mistake...

and i want to know when does the eq T=I*alpha
comes into picture?

and also 1 more question
wht happens if the width of the pulley s increased?
bcoz width has nothing to do in the eq only radius s considered.

ravipatil666 said:
and i want to know when does the eq T=I*alpha
comes into picture?

(have an alpha: α :wink:)

ah, that's only if the pulley has non-negligible mass, and you want to find how fast it's rotating …

I is the moment of inertia of the pulley, and α is the angular acceleration. :wink:
ravipatil666 said:
wht happens if the width of the pulley s increased?

nothing … only the radius matters. :smile:

Increasing the width of the pulley will require more material which will increase the value of I, so the change will show up there, even though the width does not appear directly in any of the equations you have written.

thanks(dhanyawaad)...

Related to To estimate the required torque

What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the turning force applied to an object. It is important in many scientific fields, including engineering and physics, as it helps us understand how forces act on objects and how they can cause rotational motion.

How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force being applied and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance. Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

What factors affect the required torque for a specific task?

The required torque for a specific task can be affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the object, the friction between the object and its surroundings, and the speed at which the object needs to rotate. Other factors may include the type of material the object is made of and the amount of force being applied.

How do you estimate the required torque for a given task?

To estimate the required torque for a given task, you need to consider the factors mentioned above and use the torque formula to calculate the necessary amount of force. It can also be helpful to consult with experts in the field or refer to similar tasks that have been completed in the past.

What are some common tools and techniques for measuring torque?

Some common tools and techniques for measuring torque include torque wrenches, which apply a specific amount of force, and dynamometers, which measure the amount of torque being applied. Other methods may involve using calculations and simulations to estimate torque or using sensors and data collection systems to measure torque in real-time.