To double the power dissipated by a resistor you can

In summary, when trying to solve a problem involving power and voltage, Increasing the voltage will be compensated by a decrease in current, while reducing the resistance will double the current.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

1) double the potential difference, ΔV
2) double the current, I
3) reduce the resistance, R, by 1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These problems are usually straightforward but I'm a little confused this time because I keep seeing all of the choices work out.
I know P=IV, so if I double V or double I, then I will get twice the power.
I also know P=V^2/R so reducing R by 1/2 will also double the power.
However, if R is reduced by 1/2, in the equation P=I^2*R the power will be halved instead of doubled? And if I or V are doubled, then for P=V^2/R and P=I^2*R power will increase by 4?

It's late and I may very likely be overlooking something obvious, but I'm not sure what I'm missing here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi Face said:
These problems are usually straightforward but I'm a little confused this time because I keep seeing all of the choices work out.
I know P=IV, so if I double V or double I, then I will get twice the power.
I also know P=V^2/R so reducing R by 1/2 will also double the power.
However, if R is reduced by 1/2, in the equation P=I^2*R the power will be halved instead of doubled? And if I or V are doubled, then for P=V^2/R and P=I^2*R power will increase by 4?

It's late and I may very likely be overlooking something obvious, but I'm not sure what I'm missing here...

Well, looking at [itex]P=IV[/itex], the problem with thinking you can simply change either value independently is that you can't. Consider a super simple case: [itex] 1\Omega[/itex] resistor attached to a 1V power source. By [itex]V=IR[/itex], this would result in a 1A current and a 1 W power draw.

Okay, good.

Now, if you looked at [itex]P=IV[/itex], you would think "what if I just double the voltage?". However, by changing the voltage, considering the resistance is constant, by [itex]V=IR[/itex] you can't have the current stay the same! It must be cut in half. Conceptually, this should make sense because by applying a larger voltage across something, you should expect to draw a higher current. So as you can tell, increasing the voltage will be compensated by a decrease in current. Changing the resistance is the only option. Changing the resistance will change the current flow, but the voltage is fixed (changing the load on a battery doesn't change the fact that the battery is 1.5V or whatever it is). So that is the only choice you have. Halving the resistance will double the current without anything changing with the voltage.

Ahhh I see. Thank you very much for clarifying that.

Related to To double the power dissipated by a resistor you can

What does it mean to "double the power dissipated" by a resistor?

When we talk about "power dissipated" by a resistor, we are referring to the amount of energy that is converted into heat as electricity flows through the resistor. To double this power means to increase it by a factor of 2.

How can I double the power dissipated by a resistor?

To double the power dissipated by a resistor, you can either increase the voltage across the resistor or decrease the resistance value. This will result in a higher current flowing through the resistor, which will in turn increase the amount of power being dissipated.

Will doubling the power dissipated by a resistor damage it?

It is possible that doubling the power dissipated by a resistor can damage it, especially if the resistor is not designed to handle high amounts of power. It is important to check the power rating of the resistor and make sure it can handle the increased power before attempting to double it.

What are some practical applications of doubling the power dissipated by a resistor?

Doubling the power dissipated by a resistor can be useful in a variety of applications. For example, it can be used to increase the brightness of a light bulb, increase the heating power of an electric heater, or increase the speed of a motor.

What are the limitations of doubling the power dissipated by a resistor?

There are several limitations to doubling the power dissipated by a resistor. One limitation is the power rating of the resistor, as mentioned before. Additionally, doubling the power dissipated can also result in a significant increase in the temperature of the resistor, which can affect its performance and lifespan. It is important to carefully consider these limitations before attempting to double the power dissipated by a resistor.