To do a math or physics degree?

In summary: Welcome to PF!In summary, the individual is currently in their third year of university and is struggling to choose between majoring in mathematics or physics. They are taking a senior level complex analysis course and have a strong interest in math, but also find physics intriguing. They are unsure about job prospects in both fields, but leaning towards applied mathematics. They also mention the option of taking core physics courses to satisfy their interests. However, they acknowledge that there are job opportunities in physics, particularly for those with a PhD and strong programming skills.
Vitani11
I'm currently about to be in my third year of university courses. I'm having trouble deciding on majoring in mathematics or physics and it's almost too late to choose. I can not double major at this point. I'm currently taking a condensed six week senior level complex analysis course and I just left community college... the most recent course I finished was calculus 3 and ODE which is technically sophomore level- so needless to say I absolutely adore math (and those all too common bursts of dopamine when a difficult problem is solved, lol!). However, I think physics is pretty interesting and will offer me insight into the universe that is unattainable by other majors (and it is harder for me which I like because I have to think more). So i don't want to ditch physics for mathematics, but I don't want to ditch mathematics for physics... any advice? I know math has better job prospects than physics also though, the job outlook is 21% whereas physics is zippo. I've been vacillating for two years and that needs to come to an end pretty soon...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What about applied math? best of both worlds maybe.

Or you can take one or more the core physics courses of Classical Mechanics, E and M Theory and Quantum Mechanics to satisfy your interests.

Likes Vitani11
It's definitely not true that physics has worse job prospects than math.

radium said:
It's definitely not true that physics has worse job prospects than math.

Well, as of 2013 (can't find any more recent surveys) according to the NSF's survey of doctoral recipients, mathematics Ph.D holders have an unemployment rate of 1.2% vs 2.9% for physics Ph.D holders.

Granted, both of these are pretty good, but mathematics also has an involuntary out-of-field rate of 3.7% as opposed to 7.4% for physics. It seems that, across the board, mathematics Ph.Ds were doing slightly better than physics Ph.Ds, but that's not to say any of them were starving. Also, this only applies to Ph.D holders. I believe the APS has relevant statistics for undergraduate degrees, but you'd have to find corresponding statistics for mathematics degree holders.

Of course, I encourage anyone to look at the data and to keep in mind that it is 3 years old:
https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/doctoratework/2013/

Likes Vitani11
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

What about applied math? best of both worlds maybe.

Or you can take one or more the core physics courses of Classical Mechanics, E and M Theory and Quantum Mechanics to satisfy your interests.
Yes if I were to go for mathematics (which as of this moment I am leaning towards) it would be applied. I am one course away from a minor in physics, the next course is modern physics which covers quantum mechanics cosmology and relativity at my college which should be pretty suitable to "fill me up" lol. And thank you!

Well either way, it is innaccurate to say there are no job prospects in physics. That's just not true. A PhD in physics will provide you with very marketable skills, especially if you can program. People who leave academia often go into jobs in industry research (people in condensed matter experiment can get research positions at places like IBM and Intel), consulting, finance, etc. I know of several examples. Basically everyone I directly know who graduated in the past few years has been able to get a good job without a problem.
Recently I have also been hearing about research done in industry which is pretty fundamental and allows one to directly apply there physics knowledge (this is stuff that someone in CMT could do).

I'm not exactly sure how much pedigree matters for these jobs but it is probably important.

Related to To do a math or physics degree?

What is the difference between a math and physics degree?

A math degree focuses on theoretical and abstract concepts related to numbers and equations, while a physics degree combines math with the study of the natural world and its laws.

What skills are necessary to pursue a math or physics degree?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a solid foundation in math and science, and the ability to think critically and logically are essential for success in a math or physics degree program.

What career options are available with a math or physics degree?

Graduates with a math or physics degree can pursue careers in fields such as engineering, finance, research, data analysis, teaching, and more. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through these degrees are highly sought after in a variety of industries.

What is the typical coursework for a math or physics degree?

In a math degree program, students can expect to take courses in calculus, algebra, geometry, statistics, and other advanced math topics. In a physics degree program, coursework typically includes mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and other topics related to the laws of the physical world.

Is a math or physics degree difficult?

Both math and physics degrees require a strong foundation in math and science, which can be challenging for some students. However, with dedication and hard work, these degrees can be highly rewarding and lead to exciting career opportunities.