To continue grad school or not?

In summary, a person has recently taken up a bigger interest in programming (mainly C++/C video/PC game programming), but is losing interest in graduate school (in their courses, except for the graduate game programming class) due to it being very dull and boring. They are considering dropping out of graduate school because it feels like they rather be creating programs they can understand instead of abstract business/web applications.
fizziks
I have recently taken up a bigger interest in programming (mainly C++/C video/PC game programming). I was very impartial to programming until I took this game programming elective. I'm losing interest very fast in graduate school (in my courses, except the graduate game programming class, and my RA position). My RA position is about designing web applications for a company + some web application development research. I THOUGHT I would like to do this but it turns out to be very dull and boring. It feels I rather be creating programs I can understand (PC/video games) instead of abstract business/web applications.

I really want to get into the game development industry, despite it being extremely volatile and unstable, but it seems to be the thing I rather spend the rest of my time in. I'm not looking for a top paying job. If it's at a place where I don't mind going 5 days a week for 8-10 hours, I could really care less about the pay, as long as it covers the basic bills.

Should I start looking for entry level jobs in the game industry and just drop this whole graduate school thing? And in this industry that can give me some insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Develop a portfolio. Have you made any games? Mods? Flash games? Java games? Programmed with opengl or direct X? They can certainly help show you have experience.

Why do people quit, when they lose interest. If your in GRAD school your almost done, stick with it for the remaning years. No point of quiting when your so close

th3plan said:
Why do people quit, when they lose interest. If your in GRAD school your almost done, stick with it for the remaning years. No point of quiting when your so close

Years are pretty long. Is it wise to continue doing something I have some/little interest in for such a time?

I think you need to make clear how far you're into grad school. How many semesters have you covered so far?

Defennder said:
I think you need to make clear how far you're into grad school. How many semesters have you covered so far?

I'm couple weeks into my 2nd semester as a MS in CE. I'm expected to graduate by the end of next summer or next fall.

Related to To continue grad school or not?

1. Should I continue grad school or enter the workforce?

This is a common question that many students face after completing their undergraduate degree. The answer depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Grad school can provide advanced knowledge and skills, while entering the workforce can offer real-world experience and potential for career advancement. Consider your long-term goals and research the job market in your field to make an informed decision.

2. Will continuing grad school increase my earning potential?

In general, individuals with a graduate degree tend to have higher earning potential than those with just an undergraduate degree. However, the specific earning potential will vary depending on your field of study and the job market. It is important to research the average salaries for your desired career path to determine if grad school is worth the investment for you.

3. How will continuing grad school impact my personal life?

Continuing grad school can be a significant time commitment, and it is important to consider how this may impact your personal life. It is important to have a support system in place and to communicate with your loved ones about your goals and expectations. Additionally, some grad programs may offer flexible scheduling options or online courses to help balance personal and academic responsibilities.

4. What are the potential benefits of continuing grad school?

There are many potential benefits to continuing grad school, including advanced knowledge and skills, career advancement opportunities, networking opportunities, and the potential to increase earning potential. Additionally, grad school can provide a sense of accomplishment and personal growth. It is important to consider your individual goals and how grad school may help you achieve them.

5. How can I determine if grad school is the right decision for me?

Ultimately, the decision to continue grad school or not should be based on your personal goals, interests, and circumstances. It may be helpful to speak with a career counselor or academic advisor to discuss your options and gather more information. You can also reach out to current grad students or alumni in your desired field to gain insight into their experiences and advice.