To become physicist which branch i should take ?

In summary, a student who has just passed their tenth standard and is not familiar with engineering branches should major in physics when they go to university. If you want to become a physicist, you should prepare for the IIT-JEE exam and get a good score.
akshay mahajan
First of all i am an eleventh class student who has just passed his tenth standard . I don't know much about engineering branches . I always admire the work of stephen hawkins and michio kaku . Please tell me the way to get my dream career as a theoretical physicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably major in physics when you go to university.

What is doing major?Please explain me about it . Also suggest some good institutions for it in India.

Hi akshay! Welcome to PF
You need to study hard and do a integrated BS-MS program in physics offered by IIT's in India. You need to prepare for IIT-JEE exam and get a good score. To become a physicist, you would need a PhD in Physics.

Is their any other institute other than iit. As get admission in iit in this competition is difficult. Also do you know about some institute in India where i could get a good job and at what salary as my parents prefer branch which get you money and fame.

The best Research Oriented University in India is IISc Bangalore, admission through KVPY & JEE. Other is cmi but the admission test of cmi is full of Mathematics.

If "full of mathematics" is a "but" in admission tests you should reconsider wanting to become a physicist, anyways. If money, fame, healthy lifestyle and sexual attractiveness to women is what you are looking for, theoretical physics is the way to go. Well, not really. But at least you have a chance to become a role model for nerdy students.

akshay mahajan said:
Is their any other institute other than iit. As get admission in iit in this competition is difficult. Also do you know about some institute in India where i could get a good job and at what salary as my parents prefer branch which get you money and fame.

I think you should take this one step at a time. There are good places to do physics like IISc,Bangalore. Getting admission into them is also really difficult. I didn't know about all these institutes when I was in High school. You should definitely consider IIT as your first option.
Oh! regarding parents and salary, lot of Indians don't know about professional research.If you say I want to be a physicist, they would reply something like "So you want to become a Einstein,huh?".

sndtam said:
Oh! regarding parents and salary, lot of Indians don't know about professional research.If you say I want to be a physicist, they would reply something like "So you want to become a Einstein,huh?".
I wonder if Indian parents would actually say "Bose" instead of "Einstein".

Timo said:
I wonder if Indian parents would actually say "Bose" instead of "Einstein".

Unfortunately, Bose is not a house hold name here.But it should be Bose, he is a great physicist.:approve:

C V Raman is quite famous Physicist in India for giving Example as a person in Physics.

Anyway thread in going in other way.

Just Join Undergraduate in Physics with Mathematics from IISc, cmi, St. Stphens Delhi. or some Reputed University and Try some Experimental Workshops & Internships from TIFR, BARC, CSIR etc.

Related to To become physicist which branch i should take ?

1. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain the fundamental laws of nature, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments to test these theories and gather data.

2. Which branch of physics should I choose for a career in astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a multidisciplinary field that combines aspects of physics, astronomy, and mathematics. Therefore, it is important to have a strong foundation in all branches of physics, but particularly in areas such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

3. Can I specialize in more than one branch of physics?

Yes, it is common for physicists to have knowledge and expertise in multiple branches of physics. In fact, many research projects involve collaboration between physicists from different specialties.

4. Is there a particular branch of physics that is more challenging than others?

All branches of physics can be challenging in their own ways, but some may require more mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills than others. For example, theoretical physics may involve complex mathematical concepts, while experimental physics may require strong data analysis skills.

5. What are the career opportunities for each branch of physics?

There are a variety of career opportunities available in each branch of physics, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching roles, and positions in government agencies or national laboratories. The specific career path may depend on the individual's interests, skills, and experience.