Titration of Nitrous Acid with Sodium Hydroxide

In summary, the pH at the equivalence point of a titration between a 0.150 M HNO2 solution and a 0.150 M NaOH solution, with a Ka of 4.50x10-4, is approximately 8.11. The total volume at the equivalence point is 50 ml, with both concentrations at equal proportions. The next step would be to determine the new molarity of either substance.
rcrx
A 25.0 ml sample of 0.150 M HNO2 is titrated with a 0.150 M NaOH solution. What is the pH at the equivalence point? The Ka of HNO2 is 4.50x10-4

What I can't get is the fact I don't know how much has already been titrated at the equivalence point. So it's difficult to know the total volume to find the new concentration.

The answer is supposed to be pH = 8.11, and I could guess that with the titration of a weak acid with a strong base that the pH will rise a bit. But I can't presume how to do this mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
rcrx said:
What I can't get is the fact I don't know how much has already been titrated at the equivalence point. So it's difficult to know the total volume to find the new concentration.
If you are having trouble with this, you should take a step back ... and start at the definition of the equivalence point. What is the definition?

Both concentrations are in equal proportion and neither consumes the other. So that means there is 25.0 + 25.0 for a combined total of 50ml?

Correct. Now, what's the next step?

Find the new Molarity of either substance?

Related to Titration of Nitrous Acid with Sodium Hydroxide

1. What is the purpose of titrating nitrous acid with sodium hydroxide?

The purpose of titrating nitrous acid with sodium hydroxide is to determine the concentration of nitrous acid in a solution. This is done by adding a known concentration of sodium hydroxide to the solution until the reaction is complete, which can be indicated by a color change or a change in pH.

2. How does the titration process work?

In a titration, a known volume of one solution (the titrant) is added to a known volume of another solution (the analyte) until the reaction is complete. The volume of titrant needed to reach the endpoint is used to calculate the concentration of the analyte.

3. What is the chemical equation for the titration of nitrous acid with sodium hydroxide?

The chemical equation for the titration of nitrous acid (HNO2) with sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is:
HNO2 + NaOH → NaNO2 + H2O

4. How do you know when the titration is complete?

The titration is complete when the reaction between the two solutions is finished. This can be indicated by a color change (if an indicator is used) or a change in pH. The endpoint is usually reached when the solution turns from acidic to basic or vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a titration?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of a titration include human error in measuring volumes, using expired or impure solutions, and not properly calibrating equipment. It is also important to properly mix the solutions and to use the correct indicator for the titration.