Titration of a weak base w/ a strong acid

In summary, the purpose of titrating a weak base with a strong acid is to determine the concentration of the weak base. This is done by adding the strong acid in small increments until the equivalence point is reached, where the moles of acid added equals the moles of base present. To calculate the concentration of the weak base, you can use the equation c1v1 = c2v2, where c1 is the concentration of the acid, v1 is the volume of acid added at the equivalence point, c2 is the concentration of the base, and v2 is the volume of base originally present. The indicator used in this type of titration is a pH indicator that changes color at or near the equivalence point. This
Chris L

Homework Statement

Determine the pH at the equivalence point after 20.00mL of a 3.75 M NaF(aq) solution is titrated with 3.25 M HI(aq)

Homework Equations

##k_a = \frac{[A^-][H^+]}{[HA]}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I noted was that

NaF ##\rightarrow## Na+(aq) + F-(aq)

since most sodium compounds dissolve almost completely, and

HI ##\rightarrow## H+(aq) + I-(aq)

since hydroiodic acid is strong. From there, the equilibrium expression

HF ##\rightleftharpoons## H+(aq) + F-(aq)

came to mind. Since the volume of HI(aq) added is one molar equivalent, and there are

## 0.02 L (3.75 \frac{mol}{L}) = 0.075 mol## of NaF(aq) in solution, I figured the volume of HI(aq) added must be ##\frac{0.075 mol}{3.25 \frac{mol}{L}} = 0.0231 L##. The total volume is then ##0.02 L + 0.0231 L = 0.0431 L##.

From the total volume, I found the new H+(aq) and F-(aq) concentrations to be ##\frac{0.075 mol}{0.0431 L} = 1.74 M##; from my understanding, the initial concentrations of both of these entities should be the same because exactly 1 molar equivalence is being added and they are in a 1:1 ratio with each other.

Next, I created an ICE table with this information, along with the provided ##k_a## = 6.6 x 10-4 (I'm new to LaTeX so I put it inside a matrix b/c there's documentation for them in the FAQ, apologies):

##
\begin{pmatrix}
? & HF & H^+ & F^-\\
I & 0 & 1.74 & 1.74\\
C & +x & -x & -x\\
E & x & 1.74 - x & 1.74 - x
\end{pmatrix}
##

Plugging this information into the expression for ##k_a##,

##6.6*10^{-4} = \frac{(1.74 - x)^2}{x}##

which yields ##x = 1.7064## and so ##[H^+] = 1.74 - 1.7064 = 0.0336 M##.

Finally, ##pH = -log_{10}(0.0336) = 3.39##, which seems like a somewhat reasonable answer given the strength of the acid being added, but I still feel like there are errors in my methodology. I would be very thankful if anyone could point out my mistakes, or just tell me if everything looks okay!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chris L said:
##\frac{0.075 mol}{3.25 \frac{mol}{L}} = 0.231 L##

Check your math.

Note that it is obvious something is wrong - concentrations of both NaF and HI are very similar, there is no reason for tenfold difference in volumes, they have to be very similar.

Borek said:
Check your math.

Note that it is obvious something is wrong - concentrations of both NaF and HI are very similar, there is no reason for tenfold difference in volumes, they have to be very similar.

Fixed the original post, I really have to get new batteries for my TI-89...I make too many mistakes with the windows calculator. Thanks for the response!

After fixing the numbers, the pH is now 3.39, although the highest pH given in the answers was 2.5 (it was multiple choice). The professor could just be trolling because it said "pick the closest value" but I think it's more likely that I made a second mistake.

Your previous answer was much closer to the correct one.

Notre that technically at equivalence point you have just HF solution of the known concentration...

Borek said:
Your previous answer was much closer to the correct one.

Notre that technically at equivalence point you have just HF solution of the known concentration...

I'm more concerned with the correct process than the right answer, my new answer being farther from the correct one doesn't bother me because I've fixed an error.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second statement; in the solution there exists Na+, H+, F-, and I-. From what I understand, the sodium and iodine ions shouldn't affect the pH, and the H+ and F- ions will form a certain concentration of HF, according to its ##k_a##. Is it incorrect to say that the equivalence point is when the moles of HI added is equal to the moles of NaF in the original solution?

Chris L said:
in the solution there exists Na+, H+, F-, and I-.

Not exactly. You add strong acid to protonate a weak base, and the reaction that takes place during titration is

H+ + F- -> HF

You don't add the acid to have free ions in the solution, you add it for the reaction to take place.

From what I understand, the sodium and iodine ions shouldn't affect the pH

Correct. (They do change pH, but that's another story).

and the H+ and F- ions will form a certain concentration of HF, according to its ##k_a##. Is it incorrect to say that the equivalence point is when the moles of HI added is equal to the moles of NaF in the original solution?

Compare the numbers you got - out of 1.74 M of F- present in the solution around 1.7M is protonated (even if the final answer is incorrect, orders of magnitude are OK). That means you have mostly HF, some of that dissociated, not partially protonated F-.

Now that I looked at your answer - minus log of 0.03 must be below 2 (minus log of 0.01 is 2, and we are talking about the number that is slightly higher than 0.01, so the minus log must be lower than 2). Check the final step.

Oh wow, I made another calculator mistake, -log10(0.0336) isn't 3.39, it's 1.474. Should that be the correct answer then?

Looks OK now.

Thank you for all of your help! I'm new to PF, is there a way I can give you a thumbs up or points or something?

No need for that, your "thank you" is enough :biggrin:

Related to Titration of a weak base w/ a strong acid

1. What is the purpose of titrating a weak base with a strong acid?

The purpose of titrating a weak base with a strong acid is to determine the concentration of the weak base. This is done by adding the strong acid in small increments until the equivalence point is reached, where the moles of acid added equals the moles of base present.

2. How do you calculate the concentration of the weak base from the titration data?

To calculate the concentration of the weak base, you can use the equation c1v1 = c2v2, where c1 is the concentration of the acid, v1 is the volume of acid added at the equivalence point, c2 is the concentration of the base, and v2 is the volume of base originally present.

3. What is the indicator used in titrating a weak base with a strong acid?

The indicator used in this type of titration is a pH indicator that changes color at or near the equivalence point. This allows for easy detection of when the titration is complete.

4. Why is it important to titrate a weak base with a strong acid instead of a weak acid?

Titration with a strong acid is preferred because the reaction between a strong acid and a weak base is a complete neutralization reaction, whereas the reaction between a weak acid and a weak base is a partial neutralization. This makes it difficult to accurately determine the equivalence point.

5. How does the pH change during the titration of a weak base with a strong acid?

At the beginning of the titration, the pH of the solution will be basic due to the presence of the weak base. As the strong acid is added, the pH will decrease until it reaches the equivalence point, where the pH will be neutral. After the equivalence point, the pH will continue to decrease due to the excess acid present in the solution.