Titration Lab Equipment Set Up

In summary, the conversation discusses the set up for acid base titrations and whether the standard solution of known concentration should go in the buret tube or the erlenmeyer flask. It is mentioned that in the speaker's lab, the acid is in the flask and the base is in the buret, but the question arises if there would ever be a situation where the known solution is in the flask. There is also a brief discussion on the use of the term "titrant" and the speaker's preference for putting the standard solution in the flask for more accurate measurements. However, it is noted that the final accuracy will depend on the burette.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I'm teaching introductory chemistry this semester, but I don't have much of a chem background.

We are about to start acid base titrations. Does the standard solution of known concentration go in the buret tube or the erlenmeyer flask? Does it matter?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my lab, the acid has the unknown concentration, while the base's concentration is known. I have it set up so that the acid is in the erlenmeyer flask and the base is in the buret tube.

This is convenient because the indicator is colorless in the acid but pink in the base. However, would there ever be a situation where solution with the known concentration would be in the erlenmeyer flask?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have always put known into the burette. Not that I don't know any serious arguments telling why we should do it this way.

Last edited:
Good to know, thank you! One more thing - is "titrant" always the solution of known concentration, or just the name for the solution that goes in the buret? It's hard to find a clear answer online.

Other things being equal I would put the standard in the flask. Because the pipettes sampling will be more accurate than the burette measurement I prefer the feeling that there is one thing there that I know as accurately as possible against which I am measuring my unknown. But it is ridiculous of me, because the final accuracy will just depend on then,east accurate part - then burette. Nothing to choose really.

Your point is more important - you are likely to detect a colour appearance better than its disappearance.

Related to Titration Lab Equipment Set Up

1. What is titration and why is it important?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known solution (called the titrant) to an unknown solution until a reaction is completed. It is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the concentration of a substance in a solution, which is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and medicine.

2. What equipment is needed for a titration experiment?

The basic equipment needed for a titration experiment includes a burette, a burette clamp, a stand, a conical flask, a pipette, a pipette filler, a beaker, and a magnetic stirrer. Other optional equipment may include a pH meter, a thermometer, and a titration indicator.

3. How do I set up a titration experiment?

To set up a titration experiment, first, place the burette in a burette clamp on a stand. Fill the burette with the titrant solution and record the initial volume. Next, use the pipette to accurately measure the volume of the unknown solution and transfer it to a conical flask. Add a few drops of the titration indicator to the conical flask. Place the conical flask on a magnetic stirrer and start the stirrer. Slowly add the titrant solution from the burette to the conical flask, while continuously stirring, until the endpoint is reached.

4. What are some common sources of error in titration experiments?

Some common sources of error in titration experiments include inaccurate measurement of solutions, improper calibration of equipment, incorrect placement of the burette tip, and failure to properly mix the solutions. Other factors such as temperature changes, presence of air bubbles, and human error can also contribute to errors in titration experiments.

5. How can I ensure accurate results in a titration experiment?

To ensure accurate results in a titration experiment, it is important to use precise measuring equipment, properly calibrate all equipment, and carefully follow the steps of the experiment. It is also helpful to perform multiple trials and calculate the average volume of titrant used to reduce any errors. Additionally, using a titration indicator that changes color at the endpoint can help to accurately determine when the reaction is complete.