Titrating Biodiesel for soap content

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a 0.01 N solution of hydrochloric acid for titrating biodiesel for soap content. The individual already has all the necessary materials and is seeking help with the calculations. It is suggested to dilute the 38% HCl by adding 0.83 mL of concentrated acid to a 1L flask and diluting to the mark. Alternatively, 1 mL of strong acid can be added to 5 mL of water and only 5 mL of the resulting solution used in a liter of water.
whatarascal
Good afternoon people

I wish to titrate biodiesel for soap content.There are video's on you tube describing how.
I have all the bits required including bromophenol blue and hydrochloric acid.
The acid is at 38% and I need a solution of .01N HCl.
Well its a long time since I was at school and even then I may not have been capable of working this out.
I require 1 litre of the .01 solution.
Would one of you bright young sparks tell me how to work this out or better still calculate it for me.
It would be great if I knew the right amount of acid to add to the distilled water.

Thanks a lot in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are talking about making up a 0.01 N solution rather than a 0.0100 N solution so you don't need to be very exact since you only want 1 significant figure for your standard. If that's what you want, dilute the 38% HCL (12 N) by adding 0.83 mL of the concentrated acid to a 1L flask and dilute to the mark. If you can't accurately measure less than 1 mL, first add 1 mL strong acid to 5 mL water and use only 5 ml of the resulting 6 mL of solution in a liter of water.

Related to Titrating Biodiesel for soap content

1. What is the purpose of titrating biodiesel for soap content?

The purpose of titrating biodiesel for soap content is to determine the amount of soap present in the biodiesel. Soap is a byproduct of the biodiesel production process and can cause engine damage if present in high amounts. Therefore, it is important to accurately measure and control soap levels in biodiesel.

2. How is the titration process carried out?

The titration process involves adding a known amount of standardized acid to a sample of biodiesel. The acid reacts with the soap in the biodiesel, forming a titration endpoint. This endpoint is then used to calculate the amount of soap present in the sample.

3. What equipment is needed for titrating biodiesel for soap content?

The equipment needed for titrating biodiesel for soap content includes a burette, a standardized acid solution, a sample of biodiesel, an indicator solution, and a titration flask or beaker. It is also recommended to have a magnetic stirrer or a glass stirring rod for mixing.

4. What is the ideal soap content for biodiesel?

The ideal soap content for biodiesel is less than 500 parts per million (ppm). This level is considered safe for use in most diesel engines. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for soap content in order to avoid engine damage.

5. What are the potential consequences of high soap levels in biodiesel?

High soap levels in biodiesel can cause engine damage, such as clogged fuel filters, reduced engine performance, and increased emissions. It can also lead to increased maintenance costs and downtime for vehicles and equipment. Therefore, it is important to regularly titrate and control soap levels in biodiesel to ensure optimal performance and avoid costly repairs.