Tips on finding LCM in radians?

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to find the LCM of two angles, but does not explain what LCM is or why it is relevant. The student provides a summary of the content, but does not answer the question.
Giu1iano

Homework Statement

Lets say I want to find the LCM of -5π/3 and π/2; Also let's say these points are on the Unit Circle.​

Homework Equations

It's easier to convert to degrees then back to radians but I don't want do that anymore because it's tedious

The Attempt at a Solution

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain: in my perception these numbers are not on the unit circle. And points don't have an LCM

But if you mean the LCM of ##{180\over \pi}\displaystyle \arg(e^{-i {5 \pi\over 3}}) ## and ##{180\over \pi} \arg(e^{i { \pi\over 2}}) ## then there's light ! You can forget the common factors and look for the LCM of -5/3 and 1/2. I think that's 5 (-5?), so in your lingo ##\pm 5\pi## is the answer :rolleyes: which I am in fact forbiddden to give because of the PF rules and guidelines. Or perhaps more explicitly ##{180\over \pi} \arg(e^{i { \pm 5\pi}}) ## (which still is a tedious conversion...)
But I count on your having found that already in the 'tedious' manner... ?

Likes Giu1iano
After a beer, I see something else that escaped me: what is -300 degrees if you want to find an LCM ? Should I replace that with +60 (which in fact is equal to ##
{180\over \pi}\displaystyle \arg(e^{-i {5 \pi\over 3}})\ \ ##) and end up with 180 as LCM ?

Likes Giu1iano
I realized that say -(5π/3) is the same as -(10π/6) and (π/2) is the same as (3π/6), now I have a LCM or lowest common multiple. I can now do 3π - 5π/6 = -(2π/6).

I was plotting a sine graph at the time.

Giu1iano said:
I was plotting a sine graph at the time.
It would help if you were to explain exactly what you were doing and why it came down to finding the LCM of two angles. We would then have a better understanding of what LCM would mean in this context.
Are you trying to find how long before two waves of different wavelengths get back into phase?

Giu1iano said:
I realized that say -(5π/3) is the same as -(10π/6) and (π/2) is the same as (3π/6), now I have a LCM or lowest common multiple. I can now do 3π - 5π/6 = -(2π/6).
No.

Your question really has nothing to do with radians or degrees or anything about angles -- it is a simple question about arithmetic; specifically how to add fractions.

How much is ##3 - \frac 5 6##? According to your work above, it would be ##-\frac 2 6##. Does that even make sense? If you subtract a number that is less than 1 from 3, would you get a negative number?

Last edited:
Likes Giu1iano

Related to Tips on finding LCM in radians?

1. What is LCM in radians?

LCM stands for Least Common Multiple, which is the smallest positive number that is a multiple of two or more numbers. In radians, LCM refers to the smallest positive angle that is a multiple of two or more angles measured in radians.

2. Why is finding LCM in radians important?

Finding LCM in radians is important because it is used to simplify and compare angles in trigonometric equations. It also helps in converting between degrees and radians, which are two commonly used units of angle measurement.

3. How do I find the LCM of two or more angles measured in radians?

To find the LCM of two or more angles measured in radians, you can use the prime factorization method. Write each angle as a product of its prime factors, then identify the common prime factors and their highest powers. The LCM will be the product of these common prime factors raised to their highest powers.

4. Can the LCM of angles measured in radians be a decimal or a fraction?

No, the LCM of angles measured in radians will always be a positive integer. Angles measured in radians are usually expressed as fractions or decimals, but their LCM will always be a whole number.

5. Is there a shortcut or formula for finding LCM in radians?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding LCM in radians. You can use the LCM formula, which is LCM(a,b) = (a*b)/GCF(a,b), where a and b are the angles measured in radians and GCF is the Greatest Common Factor. This formula works for finding the LCM of any number of angles measured in radians.