Tips for Choosing the Value of D in Pipe Diameter Iteration

In summary: D ?There is no specific "tip" for this, but you could try a few methods to get the correct value for D.
foo9008

Homework Statement

when we find the diameter of a pipe , we have to found the value of D and f by iteration , how to choose the start value of friction factor when we do the iteration ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 162.PNG
    162.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 369
  • 163.PNG
    163.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the graph of friction factor vs Reynolds number?

Likes foo9008
you mean moody chart ?

Yes. You can see that on the chart, the friction factor does not very by several orders of magnitude, at least not for turbulent flow. I would start out with the value at a Re of 105.

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
Yes. You can see that on the chart, the friction factor does not very by several orders of magnitude, at least not for turbulent flow. I would start out with the value at a Re of 105.
how to determine the value to start with ? the Re and relative roughness is not given ?

foo9008 said:
how to determine the value to start with ? the Re and relative roughness is not given ?
Like I said, start with the friction factor f for Re = 100000. As far as roughness is concerned, you would have to know that for the particular pipe from its specs or just assume a worst-case value.

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
Like I said, start with the friction factor f for Re = 100000. As far as roughness is concerned, you would have to know that for the particular pipe from its specs or just assume a worst-case value.
when Re = 100000 , we have to choose the friction factor based on the relative roughness , right ? how to know the relative roughness?

foo9008 said:
when Re = 100000 , we have to choose the friction factor based on the relative roughness , right ? how to know the relative roughness?
As I said, the pipe may come with that kind of information when it is purchased. Or, you could choose what you would consider a worst case value. Or, if it a homework problem, they will typically tell you what roughness to use.

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
As I said, the pipe may come with that kind of information when it is purchased. Or, you could choose what you would consider a worst case value. Or, if it a homework problem, they will typically tell you what roughness to use.
yes , this is a homework -like problem , the roughness , e is given , but we don't know the D , how to get the relative roughness(e / D) so that we can choose the friction factor ?

foo9008 said:
yes , this is a homework -like problem , the roughness , e is given , but we don't know the D , how to get the relative roughness(e / D) so that we can choose the friction factor ?
Once you know D, you will have e/D for the next iteration. So just assume smooth for the first iteration.

Chestermiller said:
Once you know D, you will have e/D for the next iteration. So just assume smooth for the first iteration.
But, we do not know D, how to assume the value of D?

foo9008 said:
But, we do not know D, how to assume the value of D?
1. Guess value of D
2. Calculate Re
3. Calculated e/D
4. Determine f
5. Determine hf and compare with required value
6. Determine difference
7. Go back to step 1
8. Make a graph of either hf vs D or (hf difference) vs D.

Chestermiller said:
1. Guess value of D
2. Calculate Re
3. Calculated e/D
4. Determine f
5. Determine hf and compare with required value
6. Determine difference
7. Go back to step 1
8. Make a graph of either hf vs D or (hf difference) vs D.
so , we need to assume the value of D first ?

foo9008 said:
so , we need to assume the value of D first ?
That's what I would do. Choose values for D that give you the exact values of e/D on your Moody chart.

Chestermiller said:
That's what I would do. Choose values for D that give you the exact values of e/D on your Moody chart.
is there any tips to assume the value of D ?

Related to Tips for Choosing the Value of D in Pipe Diameter Iteration

1. What is the formula for finding the diameter of a pipe?

The formula for finding the diameter of a pipe is d = 2r, where d is the diameter and r is the radius. Alternatively, you can also use the formula d = 4A/π, where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe and π is the mathematical constant pi (approximately 3.14).

2. How do I measure the diameter of a pipe?

You can measure the diameter of a pipe using a ruler, caliper, or tape measure. Place the measuring tool perpendicular to the pipe and measure the distance across the widest point of the pipe to get an accurate diameter measurement.

3. Can I find the diameter of a pipe if I know its circumference?

Yes, you can find the diameter of a pipe if you know its circumference by using the formula d = c/π, where d is the diameter, c is the circumference, and π is the mathematical constant pi.

4. What unit of measurement is used for pipe diameter?

The unit of measurement typically used for pipe diameter is inches (in) or millimeters (mm). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in feet (ft) or centimeters (cm).

5. How precise do my measurements need to be when finding the diameter of a pipe?

The precision of your measurements depends on the accuracy required for your specific application. In most cases, a measurement accuracy of 1/16 inch or 1 millimeter is sufficient for determining the diameter of a pipe.