Tippe Top Animation: Real-Time Motion Simulation

• I
  • Thread starter Russ Edmonds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animation
In summary, a 6dof tippe top simulation coded in Python was used to generate location-rotation keyframes for a Blender tippe top animation that displays motion at 1/33 real time. This simulation includes full 6dof equations of motion, stem contact dynamics, modified Coulomb friction, and coefficient of restitution applied to landing force impulse. A diagram-like version showing relevant vectors from different angles may be useful for educational purposes. While a more realistic render was chosen for aesthetic purposes and to make comparisons with high speed video easier, the simulation output is being compared to actual tippe tops in action. Additionally, a follow-up Blender tippe top animation with Eevee motion blur was created, using the same method of generating
Russ Edmonds
TL;DR Summary
6dof tippe top simulation generates location-rotation keyframes for blender animation.

Blender tippe top animation displays motion at 1/33 real time. The location – rotation keyframes were generated by a 6dof tippe top simulation coded in Python. This simulation includes:

Full 6dof equations of motion.

Stem contact dynamics.

Modified Coulomb friction.

Coefficient of restitution applied to landing force impulse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Filip Larsen, 256bits, etotheipi and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Russ Edmonds said:
Summary:: 6dof tippe top simulation generates location-rotation keyframes for blender animation.

Blender tippe top animation displays motion at 1/33 real time. The location – rotation keyframes were generated by a 6dof tippe top simulation coded in Python. This simulation includes:

Full 6dof equations of motion.

Stem contact dynamics.

Modified Coulomb friction.

Coefficient of restitution applied to landing force impulse.

Since you have it all set up, a diagram-like version showing the relevant vectors, from different angles would be useful. Shiny reflections are nice, but for educational purposes clean, minimal graphics are better.

That's true, I was going for a more realistic render here for aesthetics and to make the comparison with high speed video a little easier. I'm in the process of comparing the simulation output to high speed video of actual tippe tops in action.

A.T. said:
minimal graphics are better.
for some purposes but this is much more useful than 'just entertaining'. That needs to be acknowledged and I bet not many people could resist waiting till the end of the sequence.

Loud music I do not enjoy, so I skipped to the end, to see what happens, which I knew anyways.
Blender you say, impressive video, to say the least

Likes sophiecentaur
It's a cool video, but a missed opportunity to not use the Inception theme, with the spinning top and all...

Likes Hamiltonian
Follow up Blender tippe top animation showing the top's motion in real time with Eevee motion Blur. As before the location rotation keyframes were generated with a 6dof tippe top simulation coded in Python.

Related to Tippe Top Animation: Real-Time Motion Simulation

1. What is Tippe Top Animation?

Tippe Top Animation is a real-time motion simulation that involves a spinning top that flips over and continues to spin on its stem. This unique motion is caused by the shape of the top and its center of gravity.

2. How does Tippe Top Animation work?

The Tippe Top is designed with a spherical bottom and a tapered stem. When the top is spun, the center of gravity shifts to the tapered end, causing the top to flip over and continue spinning on its stem. This motion is a result of the top's shape and the force of gravity.

3. What is the purpose of Tippe Top Animation?

Tippe Top Animation is often used as a visual demonstration of the principles of physics, such as center of gravity and torque. It can also be used as a toy or novelty item for entertainment purposes.

4. Can Tippe Top Animation be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, Tippe Top Animation can be used for scientific experiments to study the effects of gravity, friction, and other forces on the motion of the top. It can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as angular momentum and rotational motion.

5. Is Tippe Top Animation only for educational purposes?

No, Tippe Top Animation can also be used for entertainment purposes. It is a popular toy and novelty item that can provide hours of fun for people of all ages. However, it can also be used as a teaching tool to help students understand scientific concepts in a hands-on and engaging way.