Tip current in STM (fractional error problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an expression for the fractional change in tip current as a function of fractional change in tip spacing. It also explores the question of how to select an appropriate set of voltage values for a 1Å increase in spacing to cause a factor of 10 decrease in current, taking into account the dependence of the work function on voltage.
Ziggy12

Homework Statement

Suppose the STM tip current is given by

[tex] i = aV e^{-A\phi^{1/2}s} [/tex]

a) Derive an expression for the fractional change in tip current as function of fractional change in tip spacing s.

b) If [tex]\phi = 4V[/tex] select a reasonable set of V values so that a 1Å increase in s will cause a factor of 10 decrease in i. (a and A are given)

Homework Equations

Given in problem

The Attempt at a Solution

It's probably very simple but I'm stuck. I'm simply using error formula to get that
[tex] \delta i = \frac{\partial i}{\partial s} \delta s = -A\phi^{1/2} \cdot i \cdot \delta s[/tex]

And then I move out i to the left side to get the fractional change in current.
But that doesn't seem correct. Because then I don't understand how I am supposed to solve b), since the fractional change is independent of V.

I tried other ways as well, but V seems to dissaperar out of the equation anytime I do that.
If anyone has a good idea on how to proceed, it would be welcome.
Thanks
// John[/B]

Attachments

• Screenshot at mai 15 23-55-53.png
    Screenshot at mai 15 23-55-53.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
If the current changes by a factor 10, your linear approximation doesn't work any more - but then there is no formula relating a fractional change in s to a fractional change in i. There is a formula relating an absolute change in s to a fractional change in i, a more general version of the formula you derived (which only works for small changes in s).

Yes I could simply divide the current at two different distances to get

[tex]\frac{i(s+\delta s)}{i(s)} = \frac{aVe^{-A\psi^{1/2}(s+\delta s)}}{aVe^{-A\psi^{1/2}s}} = e^{-A\psi^{1/2}\delta s}[/tex]

but then again, this is independent of the voltage V, so I don't see how I am supposed to solve the second question.

The fractional change in current is the same regardless of the applied voltage (just like for exponential decay where the half life depends only on lambda).

Ziggy12 said:
this is independent of the voltage V
Not if ##\phi## (now ##\psi##?) depends on the voltage.

Yes sorry about that, it was a typo. Phi is the work function
Well I looked it up and the work function does depend on voltage, so I guess I have to assume that
[tex] \phi = (V-4)\hspace{0.1cm}\mathrm{Volts}[/tex], and not just 4 Volts as one could think from the problem.

1. What is the fractional error problem in STM?

The fractional error problem in STM refers to the issue of tip current fluctuations that can occur during scanning. This can result in a lack of precision in the measured values and can make it difficult to obtain accurate images of the surface being scanned.

2. How does the fractional error problem affect STM measurements?

The fractional error problem can cause fluctuations in the measured tip current, leading to a lack of precision in the measured values. This can result in distorted or blurry images, making it difficult to accurately analyze the surface being scanned.

3. What factors contribute to the fractional error problem in STM?

Several factors can contribute to the fractional error problem in STM. These include environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity, tip-sample interactions, and instrument-related factors such as noise and drift.

4. How can the fractional error problem be minimized in STM?

To minimize the fractional error problem in STM, it is important to maintain stable environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, using high-quality tips and optimizing instrument settings can help reduce tip-sample interactions and noise, leading to more accurate measurements.

5. Is there a way to completely eliminate the fractional error problem in STM?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the fractional error problem in STM, it can be minimized through careful optimization of experimental conditions and instrument settings. Additionally, advancements in STM technology and techniques continue to improve the precision and accuracy of measurements.