Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Time

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Hello

Is it possible to change the time that it takes for the posts to be automaticaly marked as read? To save me time I open all my usual sites in several tabs. By the time I get to the MHB tab, the posts are no longer available in the "new posts" section.

If it's not inconvenient, could the admins change this time frame?

Arigato! :)

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just for reference, about how much time would you typically take from when you open all your tabs to when you get to the MHB tab?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
It's possible to see the latest posts, whether read or unread, in Quick Links | Today's Posts.

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Just for reference, about how much time would you typically take from when you open all your tabs to when you get to the MHB tab?
It varies a lot, since I visit another forum and sometimes I write answers that take a while. An average time would be 25 min. But it can go to an hour.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
What I usually do if I find I have "lost" the unread topics in the "New Posts" function, I click the back button in my browser however many times it takes to go back to that page. I then read/answer the topics one by one, using the back button each time to go back to the list, and proceed from the bottom to the top of the list to be systematic. Once I am done, then I proceed normally.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've looked into this and changed a setting to see if our server can handle it. Previously we used cookies and inactivity time outs to mark threads as read. This is the option that is the least server intensive but the least accurate and has problems like the one mentioned in this thread. The new setting uses our database to log individual user activity and what has been read.

Let's give it a few days and see if this setting is more convenient on the front end for you guys and if it's slowing down our speed at all.

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Thank you very much. :)

Just now I thought I would lose the new posts, but In didn't.

If there's a difference in speed it's not significant.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've looked into this and changed a setting to see if our server can handle it. Previously we used cookies and inactivity time outs to mark threads as read. This is the option that is the least server intensive but the least accurate and has problems like the one mentioned in this thread. The new setting uses our database to log individual user activity and what has been read.

Let's give it a few days and see if this setting is more convenient on the front end for you guys and if it's slowing down our speed at all.
At first blush, I'm not seeing a time delay much at all, and I'm already finding it much more convenient. The New Posts search just got a lot more useful!

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see any lag either. This will make it much easier to keep up with unread posts for sure! (Yes)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: Time [TESTING NEW SETTINGS NOW]

This seems to not slow down our site speed at all and is much better than before so I'd say this change can be permanent until we notice something. It even works on Tapatalk and helps me easily see if I've missed a thread.

Great suggestion ModusPonens!

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Re: Time [TESTING NEW SETTINGS NOW]

Thank you for taking my suggestion. It has improved my experience a lot. :)