Time Warps: Exploring Sci-Fi Hypotheticals

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of warping space to travel a shorter distance and whether time would also be affected. The expert explains that space and time are not independent and further discussion would require an understanding of Einstein's field equations. The conversation also touches on the idea of time dilation and length contraction when traveling at high speeds. The expert clarifies that this scenario is currently not possible with our current technology.
Ervin
Okay so I have a completely sci - fi question.
Lets say we build something that warps space to travel a shorter distance, would time be warped aswell?
Lets say this hypothetical ship travels at 99% of the speed of light without the warp, then time would be diffrent both because of the speed and warping of space, hypotheticly do you think they would both add upp? why and why not ? Example of what I am thinking of. Let's say the destination is 200 light years away. for the ship to reach its destination takes about 250 solar years. Now if we have a clock on the ship, how many years would it show?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind I have a very rudimentary understanding of physics so if you could break it down into layman's terms I would very much appreciate it.

Ervin said:
Okay so I have a completely sci - fi question.
First of all, this is a science forum and not a scifi forum.

Ervin said:
Lets say we build something that warps space to travel a shorter distance, would time be warped aswell?
Space and time are not independent. What is being curved in relativity is space-time. Any further discussion must be based on an actual solution to Einstein's field equations. You cannot discuss this simply using words as it is prone to misunderstandings and imprecise statements.

Ervin said:
Keep in mind I have a very rudimentary understanding of physics so if you could break it down into layman's terms I would very much appreciate it.
Then do not mark your thread "A". Doing so indicates you expect an answer accessible to someone with an understanding of the subject at graduate student level or higher. I am going to relabel the thread as "B" level.

Likes bcrowell
Ervin said:
Example of what I am thinking of. Let's say the destination is 200 light years away. for the ship to reach its destination takes about 250 solar years. Now if we have a clock on the ship, how many years would it show?

I assume you mean 200 light years as measured by someone resting on Earth? And relative to Earth the ship is traveling at a speed of 0.8 c so that it takes 250 years to reach its destination, again as measured by someone at rest on Earth. To someone aboard the ship, the distance would be 120 light years, so the trip would take 150 years.

Measurements taken aboard the ship indicate that the distance is 120. Measurements taken on Earth indicate the distance is 200. When we compare the two we say the length is contracted from 200 to 120.

Measurements taken on Earth indicate the time is 250. Measurements taken on Earth indicate the time is 150. When we compare the two we say that the time is dilated from 150 to 250.

The only thing sci-fi about this scenario is that we we don't have the technology to build ships that travel this fast. But if we did, this is what science tells us would happen.

Last edited:
Oops! I just noticed a big typo in my previous message. Let me correct it ...

Measurements taken aboard the ship indicate that the distance is 120. Measurements taken on Earth indicate the distance is 200. When we compare the two we say the length is contracted from 200 to 120.

Measurements taken on Earth indicate the time is 250. Measurements taken aboard the ship indicate the time is 150. When we compare the two we say that the time is dilated from 150 to 250.

The only thing sci-fi about this scenario is that we we don't have the technology to build ships that travel this fast. But if we did, this is what science tells us would happen.

Related to Time Warps: Exploring Sci-Fi Hypotheticals

1. What exactly is a time warp?

A time warp is a hypothetical concept in science fiction that refers to a distortion or manipulation of time and space. It suggests that it is possible to travel through time or experience time at different rates.

2. Can time warps actually exist?

At this point, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of time warps. The concept is purely theoretical and remains a popular subject in science fiction.

3. How are time warps portrayed in popular culture?

Time warps are often depicted in science fiction movies, TV shows, and books as a means for characters to travel through time and experience different points in history. They are also sometimes used as a plot device to create alternate timelines or parallel universes.

4. Are there any real-life concepts that are similar to time warps?

Some scientific concepts, such as black holes and wormholes, have similarities to the idea of time warps. These concepts involve extreme distortions of space and time, but they are still purely theoretical and have not been proven to exist.

5. What are some potential consequences of time warps?

In science fiction, time warps are often portrayed as having potentially dangerous consequences, such as altering the course of history or causing paradoxes. However, since time warps have not been proven to exist, their potential consequences remain purely speculative.