Time traveled under constant acceleration.

In summary, SteamKing was unsuccessful in finding a solution to the problem of how to determine time traveled if you know the distance and acceleration traveled. He attempted to change the subject of the equation but to no avail. He eventually found a method that worked using other equations of motion under constant acceleration.
mickleroi

Homework Statement

I am doing some study for a short sci-fi story I'm writing. I'm trying to figure out how to determine the time that a craft has traveled if I know the constant acceleration and distance traveled.
eg. A ship accelerates constantly at 1g and travels 0.5 light years. How long did this the ship take to travel that distance?

Homework Equations

I have found the following equation which finds distance traveled based on constant acceleration and time, but I am having trouble making t the subject.

s=v0t+at^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

As mentioned above I have tried to change the subject of the formula, but to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
mickleroi said:

Homework Statement

I am doing some study for a short sci-fi story I'm writing. I'm trying to figure out how to determine the time that a craft has traveled if I know the constant acceleration and distance traveled.
eg. A ship accelerates constantly at 1g and travels 0.5 light years. How long did this the ship take to travel that distance?

Homework Equations

I have found the following equation which finds distance traveled based on constant acceleration and time, but I am having trouble making t the subject.

s=v0t+at^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

As mentioned above I have tried to change the subject of the formula, but to no avail.

The trouble you may find is that if 1 g acceleration [presumably you mean 9.8 ms^2] was maintained over that distance, the craft would be traveling faster than the speed of light - an indication that it could not accelerate at that rate over the whole distance, and also you would be moving into the area of Einstein's postulates rather than continuing to use Newton's Laws of motion.

Of course it is science fiction - so you could just make it up. The equations will have the craft exceeding the speed of light, thus averaging about half the speed of light (slightly over), so will take about half a year (slightly less).

Last edited:
It's a quadratic equation in t. You have studied quadratic equations before?

PeterO, I should have mentioned in my original post - as this is for a sci-fi story I have made up a way around the light speed limit, so I don't need to worry about relativistic effects or physical limitations on acceleration.

SteamKing, I haven't studied quadratic equations since high school. That's ten years ago now, so i suppose I might need to brush up on that...

mickleroi said:
PeterO, I should have mentioned in my original post - as this is for a sci-fi story I have made up a way around the light speed limit, so I don't need to worry about relativistic effects or physical limitations on acceleration.

SteamKing, I haven't studied quadratic equations since high school. That's ten years ago now, so i suppose I might need to brush up on that...

With no "speed limits" you can make better use of other equations of motion under constant acceleration to get a feel for the situation

eg. If you are starting from rest,

the distance traveled is half the final speed multiplied by time

The square of the final speed = 2 x acceleration x distance.

As I said, that second formula yields a final speed just over the speed of light after accelerating over a 0.5 light year distance, so taking about 0.5 years to get there.

Ah, those formulae work a treat! I'm getting 508.5 days to travel 1ly under constant 1g acceleration and a final speed of 1.44c. Seems about right to me!

Thanks So much for your help!

Related to Time traveled under constant acceleration.

1. How does time travel under constant acceleration work?

Time travel under constant acceleration is a hypothetical concept that suggests that if an object could travel at a constant acceleration close to the speed of light, time dilation effects would occur, causing time to pass more slowly for the object relative to an outside observer. This means that the object would appear to be traveling into the future at a faster rate than normal.

2. Is time travel under constant acceleration possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports the possibility of time travel under constant acceleration. While we know that time dilation does occur at high speeds, the amount of acceleration required for significant time travel effects to occur is far beyond our current capabilities.

3. What are the potential consequences of time travel under constant acceleration?

If time travel under constant acceleration were possible, it could have significant consequences on our understanding of physics and the concept of time. It could also raise ethical questions about the potential impacts on reality, causality, and the butterfly effect.

4. Are there any real-life examples of time travel under constant acceleration?

Currently, there are no confirmed examples of time travel under constant acceleration. However, some scientists have theorized that the effects of time dilation may be observed in high-speed particles, such as those found in particle accelerators.

5. How does time travel under constant acceleration differ from other forms of time travel?

Unlike other forms of time travel, such as traveling through a wormhole or using a time machine, time travel under constant acceleration is a more subtle and gradual process. It is based on the principles of relativity and time dilation, rather than breaking the laws of physics to travel through time instantly.