Time to gravitationally collapse ( Derivation)

In summary: The first equation is the work done by gravity on the object over the interval of time, and the second equation is the work done by the object on gravity. So the time it takes for the object to fall to a given distance is given by the sum of the two equations.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi, I have been given a question where they want me to find out the time at which gravitational collapse occurs for a given radius. So for reference I had a read through my notes... most of it I understand with the exception of a bit which I will highlight below. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume an object with all of it's mass concentrated at the center ( center of mass) of radius 'R'.
So using Newton's law we get the following relationship:

F = m[itex]r^{..}[/itex] = -GmM/r^2

=> [itex]r^{..}[/itex] = -Gm/r^2

Here's the bit which confuses me ( from bold line on wards).
=>{ [itex]2r^{.}[/itex][itex]r^{..}[/itex] = [itex]2r^{.}[/itex]-Gm/r^2 } *

Integrate both sides w.r.t ( no idea , could it be r' ? )

[itex]r^{.}[/itex] = -2Gm/r + C , and d(r)/dt = -1/r^2 * ([itex]r^{.}[/itex]

Can someone shed some light on this ? I have found another way of deriving the 'time' but I would love to know the above as well.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
P.S(besides the derivation ):
The time I get for Earth to collapse to a radius of 100m is about 352 seconds which seems absurd.. the formula I used is:

t =[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{R^3/2}{\sqrt{2GM}}[/itex]
where M = 5.9*10^-24 kg , radius = 6378km*10^3 - 100m...

I have also found another derivation, presumably of the same thing http://burro.cwru.edu/Academics/Astr221/LifeCycle/collapse.html

What am I doing wrong.

Can anyone lead me into the right direction. Thanks

Anyone ?

You have
$$\ddot{r} = -\frac{GM}{r^2}$$The problem is the derivative is with respect to time. Unfortunately, you can't integrate with respect to time because you don't know what r(t) is yet. The trick is to multiply both sides by ##\dot{r}## to get
\begin{align*}
\int \dot{r}\ddot{r}\,dt &= -\int \frac{GM}{r^2}\dot{r}\,dt \\
\int \dot{r}\frac{d\dot{r}}{dt}\,dt &= -\int \frac{GM}{r^2}\frac{dr}{dt}\,dt \\
\int \dot{r}\,d\dot{r} &= -\int \frac{GM}{r^2}\,dr
\end{align*}

Related to Time to gravitationally collapse ( Derivation)

1. What is the concept of time to gravitationally collapse?

The concept of time to gravitationally collapse is the amount of time it takes for a massive object, such as a star, to collapse under its own gravitational force and become a black hole.

2. How is the time to gravitationally collapse derived?

The time to gravitationally collapse is derived from the Schwarzschild radius, which is the critical radius at which a star will collapse into a black hole. This is calculated using the equations of general relativity and the mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the time to gravitationally collapse?

The time to gravitationally collapse is affected by the mass of the object, as well as the density and distribution of matter within the object. Objects with a higher mass and more compact matter will have a shorter time to collapse.

4. Can the time to gravitationally collapse be observed?

Since the time to gravitationally collapse is based on the mass and density of an object, it cannot be directly observed. However, we can observe the effects of gravitational collapse, such as the formation of black holes and the release of gravitational waves.

5. How does the time to gravitationally collapse relate to the lifespan of a star?

The time to gravitationally collapse is one of the key factors that determines the lifespan of a star. Once a star exhausts its nuclear fuel, it will begin to collapse under its own gravity, and the time it takes to do so will determine its lifespan. For example, a star with a shorter time to collapse will have a shorter lifespan compared to a star with a longer time to collapse.