Time & Temperature: Any Connection?

In summary: So for an observer in the stronger field, the ice cube would melt slower and time would pass slower. But for an observer outside the field, the ice cube would melt at the same rate as on Earth.In summary, time and temperature do not have a direct relationship. While temperature can affect physical processes, it does not affect time itself. Time is best thought of as another physical dimension and is closely related to entropy in thermodynamics. The speed of time can only be determined by looking at the speed of physical processes. And while temperature does affect atomic clocks, it does not affect time in a direct way. However, objects in stronger gravitational fields will experience time passing slower compared to those in weaker fields.
DLuckyE
Probably a silly question but do time and temperature have any relation at all? As in when things get colder does time slow down as well (since everything tends to start moving slower)?

I assume temperature also affects atomic clocks and such?

So if there's no relation, then what is time?

Science news on Phys.org
No, there is no relation. Time is not slowed by a decrease in temperature. Certain physical processes might be slowed by a decrease in temperature, but not all.

Time is probably best thought of as another physical dimension similar to the 3 spatial dimensions. The question "where are you" has 4 coordinates to describe it.

However, time and thermodynamics do have an interesting relationship.

It's the tendency of things to occur in a certain direction, consider a drop of colored water dopped into a glass of clear water, the colored water diffuses around the glass over time. No matter how much time passes, the colored molecules will never spontaneously re-group to form a drop again. Even though the motion of the molecules is completely random. Why this is , I'm not really sure.

There is some sense in which temperature can be viewed as an 'imaginary time' in Quantum Field Theory, which connects statistical mechanics and quantum field theory. I don't know a great deal about this, but I would NOT make the leap to suggest it's an actual physical one as opposed to merely anything more than a mathematical interpretation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_time

DLuckyE said:
<snip>

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.

I probably should have phrased it differently, how do you determine the speed of time? Isn't the only way to look at the speed of physical processes?

time will be slowed near to the large bodies in space (stars, black holes, neutron stars)
cause of curved spacetime
i don't think there`s there`s a relation between temperature and slowed time
temperature form of energy...and bodies another form, but temperature not
matter...

DLuckyE said:
Probably a silly question but do time and temperature have any relation at all?
1. Entropy in thermodynamics is a function of heat (temperature).
2. Entropy defines the arrow of time.

The second law of thermodynamics states that, as time progresses, the entropy of an isolated non-equilibrium system must either increase or remain the same.

So if you look from this perspective, time and entropy are very closely related to each other.
DLuckyE said:
As in when things get colder does time slow down as well (since everything tends to start moving slower)?
russ_watters answered your question. However, if you want classical physics, then that would be the case. Quantum mechanics says otherwise.
DLuckyE said:
I assume temperature also affects atomic clocks and such?
Temperature changes do affect atomic clocks. My physics teacher's daughter wrote a paper on it and atomic clocks on satellites had to be adjusted for the errors.
DLuckyE said:
Who knows? That is one of the big questions in philosophy. But if you are looking for a physical or mathematical explanation of time, asking an expert should set you on the right track.

DLuckyE said:
I probably should have phrased it differently, how do you determine the speed of time? Isn't the only way to look at the speed of physical processes?
Yes, which is why clocks use physical processes that are not affected by temperature.

ZharAngel said:
Temperature changes do affect atomic clocks. My physics teacher's daughter wrote a paper on it and atomic clocks on satellites had to be adjusted for the errors.
Just to clarify - temperature changes tend to affect the operation of machines, but that doesn't mean there is a temperature-time relationship. Different physical processes are affected differently and some not at all.

It's a bit like saying that temperature affects length. While objects expand and contract with temperature, the concept of length does not. Still, it means the prototype meter is kept in a temperature controlled environment.

Hmmmm,

What if we had a drink with an ice cube in it here on earth, and at the same time someone else was enjoying the same drink near a massive object, would the ice cube melt quicker here on earth?

gareth said:
Hmmmm,

What if we had a drink with an ice cube in it here on earth, and at the same time someone else was enjoying the same drink near a massive object, would the ice cube melt quicker here on earth?

Depends on who is observing and judging this.

Time does flow slower in the gravitational field of a massive object.

Related to Time & Temperature: Any Connection?

1. How does temperature affect time?

Temperature and time are both physical quantities that are closely related. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of particles also increases, causing them to vibrate faster and take up more space. This expansion of matter affects the flow of time, causing it to slow down slightly. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

2. Is there a specific temperature that affects time the most?

The temperature at which time dilation becomes significant is extremely high and can only be achieved in extreme environments, such as near black holes. In everyday life, the effects of temperature on time are very small and not noticeable.

3. Can time and temperature be used interchangeably?

No, time and temperature are two distinct physical quantities that cannot be used interchangeably. While they are related, they measure different aspects of the physical world and cannot be converted into one another.

4. How do scientists measure the effects of temperature on time?

Scientists use highly precise instruments, such as atomic clocks, to measure time and temperature. By comparing the rate of time passage at different temperatures, they can observe the small changes in time dilation caused by temperature.

5. Does time dilation have any practical applications?

Yes, time dilation is a crucial factor in many scientific fields, such as space travel and GPS systems. Without accounting for the effects of time dilation, precise navigation and communication would be impossible in these applications.