Time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time it takes for a sound pulse to be received by an observer, given the speeds of the source and observer, and the distance between them at the time of emission. The equation for this time is ##t_1 = \frac a {v_s - v_2}##, assuming that the speed of sound is independent of the motion of the source. The participants also discuss assumptions they made in their calculations, such as not considering the Doppler shift in frequency and not adding the distance the source moves in time ##t_1## to the total distance traveled by the wave.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
A source S of frequency ##f_0## and an observer O, moving with speeds ##v_1## and ##v_2## respectively, are moving away from each other. When they are separated by distance a (t=0), a sound pulse is emitted by the source. Suppose velocity of sound to be ##v_s## and calculate the time ##t_1## that it takes for the pulse to be received by O.
Relevant Equations
Total distance the pulse needs to travel:
##D = a + v_1t_1##

Speed of sound pulse = ##v_s - v_2##

So,
##t_1 = \frac {a + v_1t_1} {v_s - v_2}##
But the solution should be

##t_1 = \frac a {v_s - v_2}##

I assumed the following -

1. I did not consider the frequency as the Doppler shift in frequency was not asked.

2. I did not add the distance the source moved in time ##t_1## to the total distance traveled by the wave as the pulse was emitted at t=0.

Is any of my assumptions wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain your reasoning for your expression for D.
You could sketch the motions of source, observer and pulse on a distance-time graph.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
So,
##t_1 = \frac {a + v_1t_1} {v_s - v_2}##

2. I did not add the distance the source moved in time ##t_1## to the total distance traveled by the wave as the pulse was emitted at t=0.

How is that equation based on your assumption?

Are taking ##v_2## to be the speed of the source?

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Sorry, I guess I messed up the velocities. I will edit the question and add a sketch tomorrow morning.

Can't edit the question, so posting it here

Homework Statement::

A source S of frequency ##f_0## and an observer O, moving with speeds ##v_1## and ##v_2## respectively, are moving away from each other. When they are separated by distance a (t=0), a sound pulse is emitted by the source. Suppose velocity of sound to be ##v_s## and calculate the time ##t_1## that it takes for the pulse to be received by O.
Homework Equations::

Total distance the pulse needs to travel:
##D = a + v_2t_1##

Speed of sound pulse = ##v_s - v_1##

So,
##t_1 = \frac {a + v_2t_1} {v_s - v_1}##

But the solution should be

##t_1 = \frac a {v_s - v_2}##

1. I did not consider the frequency as the Doppler shift in frequency was not asked.

Is any of my assumptions wrong?

15775402198826710203335089938639.jpg

The speed of sound in a medium is independent of the motion of the source.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
PeroK said:
The speed of sound in a medium is independent of the motion of the source.

Thanks!

Related to Time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers

What is the concept of "time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers"?

The concept refers to the amount of time it takes for sound to travel between two observers who are in motion relative to each other. This can also be referred to as the "time-of-flight" for sound.

How does the speed of sound affect the time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers?

The speed of sound is a crucial factor in determining the time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers. The speed of sound is affected by the medium through which it travels, such as air or water, as well as the temperature and pressure of the medium. A higher speed of sound will result in a shorter time taken for sound to travel between the two observers.

Does the relative velocity between the two observers affect the time taken for sound to travel?

Yes, the relative velocity between the two observers does have an impact on the time taken for sound to travel. This is because the sound waves are traveling through a medium that is also in motion. As a result, the distance between the two observers is constantly changing, affecting the time taken for sound to reach the second observer.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers. These include the precision of the measuring instruments, air currents or wind that can alter the speed of sound, and the accuracy of determining the relative velocity between the two observers.

Is there a specific formula for calculating the time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the time taken for sound to travel between two moving observers. It is given by t = d/(v + vr), where t is the time taken, d is the distance between the two observers, v is the speed of sound, and vr is the relative velocity between the two observers.