Time taken for pressurized tank to fill another chamber?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for pressurized air from one tank to fill another chamber at a lower pressure. The speaker also mentions having values for input pressure, required final pressure, and diameter of the short flow pipe. They are seeking guidance on creating a mathematical model to determine the time needed for this process and optimize it. The responder suggests using electrical analogies to understand the relationship between pressure, flow, pipe, and tank.
shishir.gupta
Hi.. I am working on a project where I need pressurized air from one tank to fill another chamber at lower pressure. I have values for input pressure, required final pressure and diameter of the short flow pipe. I understand that the density and flow rate of air will keep on changing as the pressure in the inlet tank reduces due to flow. I was wondering how can I convert this into a mathematical model to get the desired time and optimize from thereon. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I always use electrical analogies. Pressure ↔ Voltage, flow ↔ current, pipe ↔ resistor and tank ↔ capacitor.

Related to Time taken for pressurized tank to fill another chamber?

1. How does the pressure of the tank affect the time it takes to fill another chamber?

The pressure of the tank directly affects the rate at which gas flows into another chamber. The higher the pressure, the faster the gas will flow and fill the chamber.

2. How does the size of the tank impact the time it takes to fill another chamber?

The size of the tank can affect the time it takes to fill another chamber in two ways. A larger tank can hold more gas, so it will take longer to fill. However, a larger tank typically has a larger outlet, allowing for a faster flow of gas.

3. Does the temperature of the gas or the tank affect the time it takes to fill another chamber?

Yes, the temperature of the gas and the tank can both impact the time it takes to fill another chamber. Warmer gas molecules move faster and collide with the walls of the tank more frequently, resulting in a faster flow of gas. The temperature of the tank can also affect the pressure, which can impact the rate of flow.

4. How does the pressure in the other chamber affect the time it takes to fill it?

The pressure in the other chamber can have a significant impact on the time it takes to fill it. If the pressure in the other chamber is higher than the pressure in the tank, the flow of gas will be slower as the gas molecules push against the molecules in the other chamber. If the pressure in the other chamber is lower, the gas will flow faster into the chamber.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the time it takes for a pressurized tank to fill another chamber?

Other factors that can affect the time it takes for a pressurized tank to fill another chamber include the size and shape of the connecting tube between the tank and the chamber, the type of gas being used, and any obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.