Time Series: ARCH model properties

In summary: But I don't see how to get from the third to the fourth line.In summary, the ARCH(1) model is a process where the value of Xt at time t is equal to the product of a random error term Zt, following a standard normal distribution, and a time-varying parameter σt that is determined by the values of Xt-1 and a set of weights w0 and w1. The expected value of Xt is 0, and the autocovariance function γX(h) for h>0 is also 0, assuming that the process is second-order stationary. This is due to the independence of Zt and σt, as well as the fact that Xt does not depend on future values
kingwinner
Consider an ARCH(1) model:
Xt = σtZt, where Zt~ i.i.d. N(0,1)
σt2 = w0 + w1 Xt-12
Find (i) E(Xt)
and (ii) the autocovariance function γX(h) for h=0,1,2,3,..., assuming the process is second-order stationary.

Solution:
(i) E(Xt) = E[E(Xtt2)] =E[E(σtZtt2)]
=E[σtE(Ztt2)] = E[σtE(Zt)] = E[σt * 0] = 0
(here I don't understand why E(Ztt2)=E(Zt).)

(ii) γX(0)=E(Xt2)
=E(σt2 Zt2)=E(σt2)E(Zt2)
=E(w0 + w1 Xt-12) * 1
= w0 + w1 γX(0)
Solve for γX(0) => γX(0) = w0/(1-w1)

γX(h)=E(XtXt+h)
=E[E(XtXt+h|Zt+h-1,...,Zt+1)] = E[XtE(Xt+h|Zt+h-1,...,Zt+1)]
(here I don't understand why we can pull the Xt out of the expectation.)
=E[XtE(σt+hZt+h|Zt+h-1,...,Zt+1)] = E[Xtσt+hE(Zt+h|Zt+h-1,...,Zt+1)]
(here I don't understand why we can pull the σt+h out of the expectation.)
=E[Xtσt+hE(Zt+h)] = E[Xtσt+h * 0] = 0 for all h>0.

I'm cannot follow the reasoning of the three equalities labelled in red above. Can someone explain why they are true?
Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
kingwinner said:
(here I don't understand why E(Ztt2)=E(Zt).)

[itex] Z_t [/itex] is independent of [itex] \sigma_t^2 [/itex]. I think this step is an example of the fact that if X and Y are independent random variables then E(X|Y) = E(X).

(here I don't understand why we can pull the Xt out of the expectation.)

The conditional expectation with respect to the sequence of values [itex] Z_{h+t-1}...Z_{t+1} [/itex] amounts to an integration with respect to the joint density of a sequence of independent random variables. These are events that happen after time [itex] t [/itex] and [itex] X_t [/itex] doesn't depend on them. I think this step is an example of the idea that [itex] \int g(x_3) f(x_1,x_2)) dx_1 dx_2 = g( x_3) \int f(x_1,x_2) dx_1 dx_2 [/itex]

I don't understand that step yet. I wonder if the phrase "assuming the process is second-order stationary" tells us anything important. The definition of the process looks very specific, so it isn't clear to me what that phase adds to it.

kingwinner said:
=E[XtE(σt+hZt+h|Zt+h-1,...,Zt+1)] = E[Xtσt+hE(Zt+h|Zt+h-1,...,Zt+1)]
=E[Xtσt+hE(Zt+h)] = E[Xtσt+h * 0] = 0 for all h>0.

I could understand the above if it said:

[itex] E(X_t E(\sigma_{t+h} X_{t+h}| Z_{t+h-1}...Z_{t+1} ) = E(X_t E(\sigma_{t+h}|Z_{t+h-1}...Z_{t+1}) E(Z_{t+h}|Z_{t+h-1}...Z_{t+1})) [/itex]

since [itex] Z_{t+h} [/itex] is independent of [itex] \sigma_{t+h} [/itex]. The result will follow because the factor of zero still appears.

Related to Time Series: ARCH model properties

1. What is the ARCH model in time series analysis?

The ARCH (Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity) model is a statistical model commonly used in time series analysis to describe the volatility of a series. It takes into account the fact that the variance of a series can change over time, rather than assuming it to be constant.

2. What are the key properties of the ARCH model?

The key properties of the ARCH model include the assumption of conditional heteroscedasticity, which means that the variance of the series is dependent on its past values, and the presence of autocorrelation in the squared residuals. It also assumes that the series is stationary and that the errors are normally distributed.

3. How is the ARCH model different from the traditional autoregressive models?

The traditional autoregressive models assume that the variance of the series is constant, while the ARCH model takes into account the fact that it can change over time. Additionally, the ARCH model allows for the presence of autocorrelation in the squared residuals, while traditional autoregressive models assume that the residuals are uncorrelated.

4. What is the purpose of using ARCH models in time series analysis?

The main purpose of using ARCH models in time series analysis is to capture the volatility and autocorrelation patterns in the data, which can then be used to make more accurate forecasts and predictions. This is particularly useful in financial markets where volatility is a key factor.

5. What are some common applications of ARCH models?

ARCH models have a wide range of applications, including financial forecasting, risk management, and economic analysis. They are commonly used in stock market analysis, predicting exchange rates, and analyzing the impact of macroeconomic variables on financial markets.