Time Reversal Breaking in Classical Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses examples of classical systems that do not exhibit time reversal symmetry, such as chaotic systems, non-reciprocal optics, and systems with loss. It also mentions the question of whether a closed system under an external magnetic field would exhibit time reversal symmetry.
hokhani
TL;DR Summary
Classical systems without time reversal
I am looking for an example of a classical system without time reversal symmetry. I would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hokhani said:
Summary:: Classical systems without time reversal

I am looking for an example of a classical system without time reversal symmetry. I would appreciate any help.
Classical physics is symmetric under time reversal. Entropy is the only arrow that I know of classically.

Likes vanhees71
As example of classical systems that exhibit behavior that (in some practical sense at least) is not quite symmetric regarding time reversal I guess you could look at chaotic systems.

the banal pendulum with friction
$$\ddot x+x=-\dot x$$
is not invariant under the change ##t\mapsto -t##

Likes vanhees71
hokhani said:
Summary:: Classical systems without time reversal

Check out "non-reciprocal optics" or " electromagnetic nonreciprocity".

Any system with loss is also time-reversal asymmetric.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you all for the responses. How about a closed system which is under an external magnetic field? Does time reversal change also the external magnetic field or it only reverses the time in the closed system?

Related to Time Reversal Breaking in Classical Systems

1. What is time reversal breaking in classical systems?

Time reversal breaking in classical systems refers to a phenomenon in which the dynamics of a system are not reversible in time. This means that if the system were to be run backwards in time, the resulting trajectory would not be the same as the original trajectory. This breaking of time symmetry is often observed in systems with dissipative forces or in systems that are driven far from equilibrium.

2. How is time reversal breaking measured in classical systems?

Time reversal breaking can be measured by comparing the forward and backward trajectories of a system. If the trajectories are not identical, then time reversal symmetry is broken. Another way to measure time reversal breaking is by looking at the entropy production of a system. If the entropy production is non-zero, then time reversal symmetry is broken.

3. What are some examples of classical systems that exhibit time reversal breaking?

One example is a pendulum that is driven by a periodic force. The motion of the pendulum is not reversible in time because of the dissipative forces acting on it. Another example is a system of particles undergoing Brownian motion, in which the direction of motion is random and not reversible in time.

4. What are the implications of time reversal breaking in classical systems?

Time reversal breaking can have significant implications in various fields of science, such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and statistical mechanics. It can lead to the emergence of irreversibility and the arrow of time in these systems. Time reversal breaking can also affect the predictability and stability of a system, as well as the efficiency of energy conversion processes.

5. Can time reversal breaking be observed in macroscopic systems?

Yes, time reversal breaking can be observed in macroscopic systems, such as fluids and solids. In fact, it is a common phenomenon in many macroscopic systems, especially those that are far from equilibrium. However, the effects of time reversal breaking may be more subtle and difficult to observe in these systems compared to microscopic systems.