Time period of a simple gravity pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about deriving a formula for the time period of a pendulum that oscillates under gravity. The net force and acceleration are discussed, followed by a small angle approximation. The use of arc length and radius to calculate velocity and acceleration is mentioned. The differential equation for the pendulum is shown and the solution is explained, with the frequency and time period formulas derived. The conversation ends with a helpful explanation for understanding the solution.
spiruel

Homework Statement

Put of curiosity I have tried to derive a formula for the time period of a pendulum that oscillates under gravity. Below you can find my workings, which I have checked on wikipedia and the workings are practically identical. However I got stuck at one point, and this is where internet pages show the further workings. However I do not understand how they have been obtained. Any help would be appreciated.

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex] F_{net}=-mgsin\theta [/tex]

The overall net force will pull towards the equilibrium position. The force which causes the pendulum to oscillate is due to gravity. Tension/other force all result because of the force of gravity.

Assume [tex]\theta\ll1[/tex] then [tex]sin\theta\approx\theta[/tex]

This small angle approximation is necessary as the resultant upcoming differential equation would not reduce to an appropriate solution. As long as the angular displacement is small enough, the solution will hold true.

[tex]
\therefore F_{net}=-mgsin\theta and a_{net}=-g\theta
\\
\\
[/tex]

[tex]
s=l\theta
[/tex]
where s = arc length and l = radius from centre

[tex]
\\
\\v=\dfrac{ds}{dt}=l\dfrac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]a=\dfrac{d^{2}s}{dt^2}=l\dfrac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^2}
\\
\\ l\dfrac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^2}=g\theta
\\
\\ \dfrac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^2}-\dfrac{g\theta}{l}=0
[/tex]

(From this point onewards I don't understand. Please explain it to me like I'm 5 if possible.)

[tex]
\\ \theta=\theta_{max}sin\sqrt{\dfrac{g}{l}}t
\\
\\ \omega=\sqrt{\dfrac{g}{l}}
\\
\\ f=\dfrac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\dfrac{g}{l}}
\\
\\ f^{-1}=(\dfrac{1}{2\pi}\dfrac{g}{l})^{-1}=T=2\pi\sqrt{\dfrac{l}{g}}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
spiruel said:
[tex] \theta=\theta_{max}sin\sqrt{\dfrac{g}{l}}t [/tex]
I guess it's simply a case of this sinusoid being known (by mathematicians) to be a solution to that second order D.E. that you arrived at above. You can show this yourself by differentiating it to get theta dot, then differentiating it again to get theta double dot, and substituting those values back into your second order D.E.

This is a sinewave of maximum value theta max, and of frequency (in radians/sec) given by that square root term.

P.S. you are missing the square root sign in the line: ω = g/l

Related to Time period of a simple gravity pendulum

1. What is the definition of the time period of a simple gravity pendulum?

The time period of a simple gravity pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from its starting point, through its maximum displacement, and back to its starting point.

2. How is the time period of a simple gravity pendulum calculated?

The time period of a simple gravity pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the time period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. Does the length of the pendulum affect the time period?

Yes, the length of the pendulum does affect the time period. The longer the pendulum, the longer the time period will be. This is because the longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel, resulting in a slower swing.

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the time period of a simple gravity pendulum?

The acceleration due to gravity has a direct effect on the time period of a simple gravity pendulum. As the acceleration due to gravity increases, the time period decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher acceleration due to gravity results in a faster swing of the pendulum.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the time period of a simple gravity pendulum?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the time period of a simple gravity pendulum, such as air resistance, the amplitude of the swing, and the mass of the pendulum. These factors can slightly alter the time period, but the formula T = 2π√(L/g) will still provide a close estimation.