Time period for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator to go from 0-1m

In summary: The period is 2π/ω = 2π/√(k/m) = 2π/√(50/0.5) = 2π/10 = 0.628 s. So the time required is 0.628/12 = 0.0523 seconds. I guess that's close enough to 0.0524 to account for rounding error.In summary, the minimum time interval required for the particle to move from position x=0 to x=1.00m is 0.0523 seconds. This can be calculated by using the equation of motion for a particle in SHM, x(t)=(A)cos(ωt +Φ),
Ethan Godden

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass(m) of 0.500kg is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant(k) of 50.0N/m. At the moment t=0, the particle has its maximum speed of 20m/s and its moving to the left. Find the minimum time interval required for the particle to move from position x=0 to x=1.00m.

Homework Equations

General Equation of Motion: x(t)=(A)cos(ωt +Φ) where A is the amplitude or maximum position, ω is the angular frequency, and Φ is the phase constant
ω=√(k/m)
vmax=ωA

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=√(k/m)=√(50/0.5) = 10.0 rad/s
vmax=ωA → A=(vmax/ω)=20/10=2.00m

Since at t=0, the particle is at its maximum speed, the phase constant must make cosine=0 as the particles maximum speed is at position x=0, so the phase constant must be π/2.

Equation of Motion: 2cos(10t+π/2)=x(t)

I believe the solution from here it to make x(t)=1.00m as the particle is at x=0 at t=0, so the time at x(t)=1.00m is the time it takes to go from x=0 to x=1.00.

2cos(10t+π/2)=1.00 → cos-1(1/2)=10t+π/2 → 10t= π/3 - π/2 → t= -π/60=-0.0524s.

I believe the answer is just the absolute value of this. When I input t=0.0524s, i get x(t)=-1.00. Shouldn't this be equivalent to the time it takes to get to +1.00m.

Apparently, the answer is 0.105s which is noticed is double the magnitude of my answer. I am pretty sure this is not a coincidence. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me where I am going wrong.

Thank You,

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan Godden said:

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass(m) of 0.500kg is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant(k) of 50.0N/m. At the moment t=0, the particle has its maximum speed of 20m/s and its moving to the left. Find the minimum time interval required for the particle to move from position x=0 to x=1.00m.

Homework Equations

General Equation of Motion: x(t)=(A)cos(ωt +Φ) where A is the amplitude or maximum position, ω is the angular frequency, and Φ is the phase constant
ω=√(k/m)
vmax=ωA

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=√(k/m)=√(50/0.5) = 10.0 rad/s
vmax=ωA → A=(vmax/ω)=20/10=2.00m

Since at t=0, the particle is at its maximum speed, the phase constant must make cosine=0 as the particles maximum speed is at position x=0, so the phase constant must be π/2.

Equation of Motion: 2cos(10t+π/2)=x(t)

I believe the solution from here it to make x(t)=1.00m as the particle is at x=0 at t=0, so the time at x(t)=1.00m is the time it takes to go from x=0 to x=1.00.

2cos(10t+π/2)=1.00 → cos-1(1/2)=10t+π/2 → 10t= π/3 - π/2 → t= -π/60=-0.0524s.
The way I interpret the problem statement, you don't want to start the "timer" (so to speak) at the moment [itex] t = 0 [/itex]. That's because at time [itex] t = 0 [/itex], the particle is moving to the left. The way I interpret the problem, it's okay to wait until the particle comes back to [itex] x = 0 [/itex] such that it's moving to the right; only then begin the time interval. But I suppose your approach should work too, leveraging symmetry.

I believe the answer is just the absolute value of this. When I input t=0.0524s, i get x(t)=-1.00. Shouldn't this be equivalent to the time it takes to get to +1.00m.
I think your logic is valid due to symmetry. I might have instead tried to used different points in time such that I didn't have to take an absolute value, but that's just me.

Apparently, the answer is 0.105s which is noticed is double the magnitude of my answer.

All that said, I don't think the given answer is correct. I came up with the same answer that you did. Either we are right or we are misinterpreting the problem statement.

Likes Ethan Godden
I also believe Ethan's answer is correct.

If you are familiar with the idea that SHM is just a projection of uniform circular motion, then you can see that when the particle in SHM moves from x = 0 to x = 1 m, the point on the reference circle moves through 30 degrees, or 1/12 of a circle. So, the time required is 1/12 of the period of the SHM.

Related to Time period for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator to go from 0-1m

1. How is the time period of a simple harmonic oscillator calculated?

The time period of a simple harmonic oscillator is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

2. What factors affect the time period of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The time period of a simple harmonic oscillator is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

3. Can the time period of a simple harmonic oscillator be changed?

Yes, the time period of a simple harmonic oscillator can be changed by altering the mass of the object, adjusting the spring constant, or changing the amplitude of the oscillation. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and gravity.

4. How does the time period of a simple harmonic oscillator vary with amplitude?

The time period of a simple harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the square root of the amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the time period also increases.

5. Why is the time period of a simple harmonic oscillator important?

The time period of a simple harmonic oscillator is important because it is a fundamental property of the system and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the oscillator. It is also used in various applications, such as pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and springs in mechanical systems.