Time of motion, natural logarithm help

In summary, the conversation covers an equation that specifies displacement x in terms of motion time t, where tau is the system time constant and g is standard gravity. The equation involves a mass suspended from a mechanical braking device with rectilinear damping constant. The conversation also touches on finding t as a function of x and approximating the time down a ramp for a computer simulation. Additionally, there is mention of a related thread on a differential equation forum.
SystemTheory
This equation specifies displacement x in terms of motion time t (starting from rest).

[tex]x = \tau g\left(t + \tau e^{-t/\tau} -\tau\right)[/tex]

where tau = m/b is the system time constant of a mass m suspended from a mechanical braking device with rectilinear damping constant b and g is standard gravity.

Can anyone help me find t as a function of displacement x? I'm having trouble with the logarithm algebra. I'm new to the forum, so any tips are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a trancendental equation for "t", you won't be able to find an exact solution.

Thanks for that help.

I'm trying to predict the time down a ramp of known length xL as shown in the diagram. I'd like a closed form approximation to write in a code statement. This will set the transient analysis time based on the input data inside a computer simulation.

The differential equation solved for acceleration looks like this:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{mg sin\theta - bv}{m}[/tex]

Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• downramp.gif
    downramp.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

Related to Time of motion, natural logarithm help

1. What is the formula for calculating time of motion?

The formula for calculating time of motion is t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity.

2. How is natural logarithm used in the study of time of motion?

Natural logarithm, or ln, is used to model exponential growth or decay in physical phenomena such as motion. It can be used to calculate the rate of change over time.

3. Can natural logarithm be used to calculate time of motion in all types of motion?

Yes, natural logarithm can be used in all types of motion as long as the motion follows an exponential growth or decay pattern.

4. Is there a significance to the base number in natural logarithm when calculating time of motion?

The base number in natural logarithm, e, is a constant value that represents the natural growth rate in nature. It is often used in the study of time of motion because many physical phenomena follow this natural growth pattern.

5. How can natural logarithm be used to analyze and predict future time of motion?

By using the natural logarithm function, we can analyze the rate of change in a physical phenomenon over time and use that information to make predictions about future time of motion. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.