Time needed to half a volume of liquid

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a barrel of water with specific dimensions and properties, and a pipe attached at its base. The goal is to find the time it takes for the barrel to lose half of its contents, taking into account the density and viscosity of the liquid. The conversation includes relevant equations and an attempt at a solution, but there is a mistake in the use of the variable for volume.
DavideGenoa

Homework Statement

A barrel, open on the top, full of water, has a radium ##R=0.25\text{ m}## and a height ##h=0.75\text{ m}##. At its base there is a hole where a pipe is attached. The pipe's length is ##\ell=1.0\text{ m}## and its radius ##r=0.0019\text{ m}##. I would like to find the time necessary for the barrel to lose half its content, if we know that the density of the liquid in the barrel is ##\rho=1.00\cdot 10^3\text{ kg/m}^3## and its viscosity ##\eta=2.5\cdot10^{-3}\text{ N sm}^{-2}##.

Homework Equations

I know the dependence of the pressure of a static fluid from its height ##h##:
##p=p_{\text{atm}}+\rho g h##,​
Bernoulli's equation, which I do not think to be useful in such a context where the liquid is viscous, and the formula for the volume flow rate in a pipe having radius ##r## and length ##\ell## with the difference of pressure ##\Delta p## at its ends
##Q=\frac{\pi r^4\Delta p}{8\eta \ell}##​

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the pressure at the bottom of the barrel is ##p=p_{\text{atm}}+\rho g h##, where ##p_{\text{atm}}## is the external pressure, and the pressure at the exit of the pipe is ##p_{\text{atm}}##, therefore ##\Delta p=\rho g h##
##\frac{dV}{dt}=:Q=\frac{\pi r^4 \rho g h}{8\eta \ell}=\frac{\pi r^4 \rho g \frac{V}{\pi R^2}}{8\eta \ell}##​
The derivative of the inverse of ##t\mapsto V(t)## is
##\frac{dt}{dV}=\frac{1}{Q}=\frac{8\eta \ell R^2}{ r^4 \rho g V}##​
and the fundamental theorem of calculus would give
##t\big(\frac{V}{2}\big)-t(0)=\int_0^{V/2} \frac{dt(v)}{dv}dv=\int_0^{V/2}\frac{8\eta \ell R^2}{ r^4 \rho g v}dv##​
but this last integral diverges, which means that something went wrong, although I do not see where my error is...
I heartily thank you for any answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
dV/dt = - Q (note the negative sign)

The volume is decreasing. Also, the starting volume is not zero, it is V0.

Chet

Last edited:
Likes DavideGenoa
Thank you, Chestmiller! I understand your remark, but I intended ##V## to be the volume of water leaked out of the barrel.
The flow rate of the volume leaving the barrel is ##-Q## and the flow rate of the the volume filling the exterior is ##Q##. I mathematically see that ##\int_{0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV=+\infty\ne-\int_{V_0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV## but I think that ##-\int_{V_0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV## is the time needed for the barrel to "go" from the full volume ##V_0## to its half ##V_0/2## (this integral is finite and I think it to be the correct answer to the exercise) while ##\int_{0}^{V_0/2}\frac{1}{Q}dV## should be the time needed for the exterior to "go" from a dry state to host half the full volume: ##V_0/2##. I have some trouble to understand the reason why the two integral are not identical... Thank you so much again!

Last edited:
DavideGenoa said:
I intended ##V## to be the volume of water leaked out of the barrel.
But that's not the way you used it when substituting for ##\Delta p##.

Likes DavideGenoa
I think I have understood now: the variable ##V=\pi R^2 h## in the integral is the volume of the water in the barrel, it is not the volume gone out of the pipe! :headbang:
Thank you both!

What is the concept of "time needed to half a volume of liquid"?

The concept refers to the amount of time it takes for a liquid to decrease in volume by half due to a chemical reaction, evaporation, or other factors.

Why does the time needed to half a volume of liquid vary for different liquids?

The time needed to half a volume of liquid depends on the chemical properties of the liquid, such as its density, viscosity, and surface tension. These properties affect how quickly the liquid can evaporate or react with other substances.

How can the time needed to half a volume of liquid be measured?

The time needed to half a volume of liquid can be measured using various methods, such as a stopwatch, a graduated cylinder, or a balance scale. The method used will depend on the specific properties of the liquid being studied.

What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the time needed to half a volume of liquid?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the time needed to half a volume of liquid, including temperature, air pressure, and the presence of impurities in the liquid. It is important to control these variables to obtain reliable results.

How can knowing the time needed to half a volume of liquid be useful in scientific research?

Understanding the time needed to half a volume of liquid can provide valuable information about the chemical properties and behavior of substances. It can also help scientists make predictions and develop more efficient processes in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals and food production.