Time it takes a pendulum to reach a point

In summary, the Pendulum takes .96 seconds to go from 6.6 degrees to 2.8 degrees on the opposite side.
DRC12

Homework Statement

A 150g mass on a 2.2m long string is pulled 6.6° to one side and released. How long does it take for the pendulum to reach 2.8° on the opposite side

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I was thinking using energy but we don't have the equation for harmonic motion energy only works for springs. The other way I thought was to use x=Acos(ωt), v=-ωAsin(ωt), and a=-ω2Acos(ωt) but I can't get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show your work?

x=Acos(ωt) is a good choice. Can you relate all the symbols in this equation to the pendulum problem you need to solve? [EDIT: Whoops, I see stepped in after frogjg2003 already started. Sorry. And I should also have asked DRC12 to show some details of what he/she already tried.]

ω=(g/L)^.5=2.11
T=2π/ω=2.98
x=Acos(ωt)
2.8=6.6cos(2.11t)
2.8/6.6=.424=cos(2.11t)
arccos(.424)=2.11t
t=.539s; Time it takes for pendulum to go from 2.8° to 6.6°
Then the time it to go from 6.6° to 2.8° on the other side is 2.98-.539=2.44s

DRC12 said:
2.98-.539=2.44s
Everything looks good except the use of the period T here.

TSny said:
Everything looks good except the use of the period T here.
but I'm looking for the time it takes for the pendulum to go from 6.6° to 2.8° on the opposite side not the same side

Right. What's the defintion of "period"?

Remember, it's 2.8 degrees on the opposite side. What is the x position then?

TSny said:
Right. What's the defintion of "period"?
The time it takes to go from A to -A and bak then the time should be T/2-.53=.96s

frogjg2003 said:
Remember, it's 2.8 degrees on the opposite side. What is the x position then?
since it's on the other side it would be 9.4 but if you plug that into the equation 9.4=6.6cos(ωt)
arccos(1.42)=ωt but 1.42 is out of the range of cos

DRC12 said:
The time it takes to go from A to -A and bak then the time should be T/2-.53=.96s

Right. Good. But frogjg2003 is giving you hints for an easier way. Remember, θ is measured from the vertical position of the pendulum.

TSny said:
But frogjg2003 is giving you hints for an easier way. Remember, θ is measured from the vertical position of the pendulum.
I'm still confused about what frogjg2003 is saying

What is the value of x when the pendulum is 2.8 deg on the opposite side? It can't be 9.4 deg. That would make the pendulum higher than it started.

Last edited:
Plug t=.96s into [itex]x=A\cos(\omega t)[/itex]. What value do you get for x? What's so special about that value?
Note: There will be some rounding errors, ignore those.

It's negative got it. Thanks both of you

Related to Time it takes a pendulum to reach a point

1. How does the length of the pendulum affect the time it takes to reach a point?

The length of the pendulum directly affects the time it takes to reach a point. The longer the pendulum, the slower it swings and therefore, the longer it takes to reach a point. This is because the longer pendulum has a greater distance to cover in each swing, resulting in a slower overall movement.

2. Does the mass of the pendulum affect the time it takes to reach a point?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect the time it takes to reach a point. The motion of a pendulum is independent of its mass. This is because the force of gravity acting on the pendulum is directly proportional to its mass, resulting in equal acceleration regardless of mass.

3. How does the angle of release affect the time it takes for a pendulum to reach a point?

The angle of release does not affect the time it takes for a pendulum to reach a point. The time it takes for a pendulum to complete one swing is solely dependent on the length of the pendulum. The angle of release only affects the maximum height the pendulum will reach during its swing.

4. Can the time it takes for a pendulum to reach a point be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time it takes for a pendulum to reach a point. In a vacuum, a pendulum will continue to swing at a constant rate with no air resistance. However, in the presence of air resistance, the pendulum's motion will be slightly slowed down, resulting in a longer time to reach a point.

5. Does the gravitational pull of the Earth affect the time it takes for a pendulum to reach a point?

Yes, the gravitational pull of the Earth affects the time it takes for a pendulum to reach a point. The motion of a pendulum is dependent on the force of gravity, which is stronger closer to the Earth's surface. Therefore, the closer a pendulum is to the Earth's surface, the faster it will swing and the shorter the time it takes to reach a point.