Time invariance of weak interaciton e-p->\nu n

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the question is about the cross section for the interaction e^- + p -> n + v and the use of form factors to calculate it. The interaction involves an electron and a proton producing a neutron and a neutrino, and is mediated by a W boson. The form factors of the proton and neutron, which describe their internal structure, must be taken into account when calculating the cross section by integrating over all possible momentum transfers. T-invariance is not relevant in this case as only the hadronic current is involved.
Phizzzzzik
The question is rather simple, but I cannot seem to find a solid answer. I need the cross section of the following interaction:
[tex] e^- + p\rightarrow n+ \nu . [/tex]
I need the cross section using the form factors. There are many solutions for the interactions like:
[tex] n+ \nu\rightarrow e^- + p [/tex]
or
[tex] p+\overline{\nu}\rightarrow e^+ + n, [/tex]
but I am not sure which one of them is the right one for my case. I know that the lepton current is not T-invariant and I think that hadronic is, but I am not sure. I would be really thankful for some short explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding the cross section of the interaction e^- + p -> n + v. The cross section for this interaction can be calculated using the form factors, which describe the internal structure of the proton and neutron.

Firstly, it is important to note that the interactions you have listed are all different processes involving different particles. In your case, the interaction involves an electron (e^-) and a proton (p) producing a neutron (n) and a neutrino (v). This is known as a charged current interaction, where the exchange of a W boson mediates the process.

In order to calculate the cross section for this interaction, we need to consider the form factors of the proton and neutron. These are functions that describe the distribution of charge and magnetism within the particles. The form factors are used to account for the fact that the proton and neutron are not point-like objects, but have a finite size and structure.

The form factors are usually expressed in terms of momentum transfer, which is the difference between the initial and final momenta of the particles involved in the interaction. In your case, the momentum transfer is given by the difference between the momenta of the initial electron and proton.

In order to calculate the cross section, we need to integrate over all possible values of momentum transfer, taking into account the form factors of the proton and neutron. This will give us the probability of the interaction occurring at a given momentum transfer.

Now, to address your question about T-invariance, it is true that the lepton current (e^-) is not T-invariant, while the hadronic current (p, n) is. However, in this particular interaction, we are only concerned with the hadronic current, as it is the proton and neutron that are involved in the form factors.

In conclusion, to calculate the cross section for the interaction e^- + p -> n + v, we need to integrate over all possible values of momentum transfer, taking into account the form factors of the proton and neutron. This will give us the cross section for this specific process. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of form factors and their role in calculating cross sections.

Related to Time invariance of weak interaciton e-p->\nu n

1. What is time invariance in the context of weak interaction e-p->\nu n?

Time invariance refers to the property of a physical system remaining unchanged under a shift in time. In the context of weak interaction e-p->\nu n, it means that the probability of this interaction occurring remains the same regardless of when it takes place.

2. Why is time invariance important in the study of weak interaction e-p->\nu n?

Time invariance is important because it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of weak interactions, such as e-p->\nu n, at different points in time. It also helps to establish fundamental principles and laws in physics, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

3. Can time invariance be violated in weak interaction e-p->\nu n?

Yes, time invariance can be violated in weak interactions, including e-p->\nu n. This has been observed in certain experiments, such as those involving the decay of neutral kaons. However, it is still a topic of ongoing research and investigation.

4. How does time invariance relate to symmetry in physics?

Time invariance is closely related to the concept of symmetry in physics. In fact, time invariance is often considered a form of symmetry, as it implies that the laws of physics are the same over time. Symmetry is an important principle in physics and is often used to make predictions and explain phenomena.

5. Are there any other types of invariance in weak interactions besides time invariance?

Yes, there are other types of invariance in weak interactions, including charge invariance, parity invariance, and combined charge-parity (CP) invariance. These invariances relate to the conservation of electric charge, spatial symmetry, and the combination of both, respectively.