Time independent Schrodinger equation and uncertainty in x

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a given Gaussian function is an eigenfunction of a specific operator and if not, how to find an alternative operator that would make it an energy eigenfunction. The uncertainty in ##\Delta x## is also calculated using the expectation values of ##x## and ##x^2##.
wood

Homework Statement

Is the gaussian
$$\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}}e^{-\alpha x^{2}}$$
an eigenfunction of ## \widehat{T} = \frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}## ? If so, what is the corresponding eigenvalue? If not, find a P.E. operator ##\widehat{U} = U(\hat{x}) ## which gives rise to a Hamiltonian ##\widehat{H}## for which this Gaussian is an energy eigenfunction. What physical system are we talking about?
Find the uncertainty in ##\Delta x##.

Homework Equations

$$\hat{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$$

time independent Schrodinger equation
##\{-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}+U(x)\}\psi_n(x)=E_n\psi_n(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out the relative derivatives and determined that it isn't an eigenfunction.
##\widehat{T}\psi(x)= -\frac{\hbar}{2m} 2\alpha e^{-\alpha x^{2}}(2\alpha x^{2} -1)##
Then I plug all that into the TISE and solve for ##\widehat{U}## and get

##\widehat{U}=\frac {\hbar^{2} + 4\alpha^{2}x^{2}}{2m}##

Hopefully I am correct up to here.

Now I am asked to find ##\Delta x ##

I think I need

## \Delta x= \sqrt{ \langle x^{2} \rangle - \langle x \rangle^{2}}##

where

## \langle x \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x|\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##

which gives me 0

but I get confused here where I think I need

## \langle x^{2} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^{2}|\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##

is the x2 term just the square of my function? So in principal I am just multiplying the square of my function by the mod of the function squared? THen taking the integral?

Thanks

edit :- sorted formatting of equation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wood said:
but I get confused here where I think I need

## \langle x^{2} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^|\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##

is the x2 term just the square of my function? So in principal I am just multiplying the square of my function by the mod of the function squared? THen taking the integral?

If you intended to write
## \langle x^{2} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2 |\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##
then yes, this is the expectation value of ##x^2##. Your wording makes it unclear what you are actually having trouble with.

That is what the equation was meant to look like.

My problem is do I square the function ##\psi## and multiply that by the mod squared of the function or multiply the function by x2. In short i am not sure what x2 is in the above formula

thanks

When you calculated ##\langle x \rangle##, how did you treat the factor of ##x##? Why do you think it's different in the case of ##\langle x^2 \rangle## in how you deal with ##x##?

Thanks very much I think I am getting the hang of what is going on. I don't have to treat ##\langle x^2 \rangle## any different to how I dealt with ##x## i.e.I just use ##x^{2}## when workingout ##\langle x^2\rangle ##

Related to Time independent Schrodinger equation and uncertainty in x

1. What is the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is used to calculate the wave function, which represents the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time.

2. How is the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation derived?

The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation was first derived by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. He combined the classical wave equation with the de Broglie hypothesis, which states that particles can also exhibit wave-like behavior.

3. What is the significance of the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and is used to solve many important problems in physics, such as determining the energy levels of atoms and molecules. It also helps us understand the wave-like nature of particles and the concept of quantum uncertainty.

4. How does the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation relate to uncertainty in position?

The Time Independent Schrodinger Equation includes the term for the quantum mechanical potential, which dictates the behavior of a particle in a particular region. The equation also contains the wave function, which represents the probability of finding a particle at a certain position. This probability is inherently uncertain, as it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

5. Can the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation be used for any quantum system?

Yes, the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation is a general equation that can be used to describe any quantum system, regardless of its complexity. It is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.