Time independent potential and mechanical energy conservatio

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time-dependent potential energy and its relationship to the conservation of mechanical energy. The work integral and gradient of potential energy are mentioned, as well as the argument leading to Equation (4.19) and its implications for realistic motion. Ultimately, it is concluded that this definition of potential energy cannot guarantee conservation of energy for a realistic trajectory that requires time.
C. Lee
Hi,

I was woking on a problem from Taylor Mechanics.(4.27) It reads:

Suppose that the force F(r , t) depends on the time t but stillsatisfies ∇ × F = 0. It is a mathematical fact that the work integral ∫12F(r , t) ⋅ dr (evaluated at anyone time t) is independent of the path taken between the points 1 and 2. Use this to show that the time-dependent PE defined by (4.48) -∫r0rF(r' , t) ⋅ dr', for any fixed time t, has the claimed property that F(r , t) = -∇U(r , t). Can you see what goes wrong with the argument leading to Equation (4.19), that is, conservation of energy?

Equation (4.19) is nothing but Δ(T + U) = 0.
I tried to write down the gradient of (4.48) directly, but I failed because I do not know how to handle ∇∫r0rF(r' , t) ⋅ dr'. And, I think, thus I cannot see what goes wrong with the argument leading to (4.19). (I am aware of the fact that mechanical energy is no longer conserved since potential energy U depends on time)
Can somebody help me with that gradient part, or is there any other way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the potential energy you can just consider t as unknown but fixed parameter.

C. Lee said:
Can you see what goes wrong with the argument leading to Equation (4.19), that is, conservation of energy?
The work integral is evaluated at a specific time. Does this represent realistic motion?

mfb said:
For the potential energy you can just consider t as unknown but fixed parameter.

The work integral is evaluated at a specific time. Does this represent realistic motion?

Alright. So in the case where r0 ≠ r, that means the object should move finite distance without change in time. This is impossible, so therefore this definition of time-dependent potential energy cannot lead to conservation of mechanical energy.

Is this right?

C. Lee said:
Alright. So in the case where r0 ≠ r, that means the object should move finite distance without change in time. This is impossible
Right.
C. Lee said:
so therefore this definition of time-dependent potential energy cannot lead to conservation of mechanical energy.
At least you cannot guarantee conservation of energy for a realistic trajectory that needs some time.

Likes C. Lee

Related to Time independent potential and mechanical energy conservatio

1. What is a time independent potential?

A time independent potential is a type of potential energy that does not depend on time. It is also known as a conservative potential, meaning that the total mechanical energy of a system is conserved as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

2. How does a time independent potential affect mechanical energy?

A time independent potential does not change the mechanical energy of a system over time. This means that the total energy of the system, which includes kinetic and potential energy, remains constant as long as there are no external forces present.

3. What is the equation for mechanical energy conservation in a time independent potential?

The equation for mechanical energy conservation in a time independent potential is E = K + U, where E is the total mechanical energy, K is the kinetic energy, and U is the potential energy. This equation holds true as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. Can time independent potentials exist in real-life systems?

Yes, time independent potentials can exist in real-life systems. Some common examples include gravity, electric fields, and magnetic fields. These potentials are considered conservative because they do not change with time and therefore do not affect the total mechanical energy of the system they are acting on.

5. How do time independent potentials relate to the conservation of energy?

Time independent potentials are directly related to the conservation of energy because they are a type of conservative potential. This means that the total mechanical energy of a system, which includes both kinetic and potential energy, is conserved over time. In other words, the energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms.