Time independent perturbation theory

In summary: It doesn't have to be diagonal like the unperturbed Hamiltonian. This means it can mix up different basis vectors, leading to non-zero values for ##\langle \phi_n | V | \phi_m \rangle##. Therefore, we cannot assume that ##\langle \phi_n | V | \phi_m \rangle = 0## for ##m\neq n##.In summary, when dealing with the perturbation of the non-degenerate case in atomic physics, it is important to remember that the operator ##V## can change the basis vectors and the resulting state may not necessarily be connected to the original state by a constant prefactor. Therefore, we cannot assume that ##\langle \phi_n | V | \
Plaetean
In my course notes for atomic physics, looking at time independent perturbation for the non-degenerate case, we have the following:

http://i.imgur.com/ao4ughk.png

However I am confused about the equation 5.1.6. We know that < phi n | phi m > = 0 for n =/= m, so shouldn't this mean that < phi n | V | phi m > = 0 as well? Would someone be able to explain why this is not the case? I feel like I must be missing some important aspect of Dirac notation here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
##|\phi_m\rangle## is the eigenstate of the unperturbed Hamiltonian, that is, the original Hamiltonian before the presence of the perturbation ##V##. This means ##|\phi_m\rangle## doesn't necessarily happen to be the eigenstate of ##V## as well.

blue_leaf77 said:
##|\phi_m\rangle## is the eigenstate of the unperturbed Hamiltonian, that is, the original Hamiltonian before the presence of the perturbation ##V##. This means ##|\phi_m\rangle## doesn't necessarily happen to be the eigenstate of ##V## as well.
Could you elaborate a bit?

First, I would like to ask why do you think that ##\langle \phi_n|V| \phi_m \rangle = 0## for ##m\neq n##?

blue_leaf77 said:
First, I would like to ask why do you think that ##\langle \phi_n|V| \phi_m \rangle = 0## for ##m\neq n##?
Because different states are orthogonal, so ##\langle \phi_n | \phi_m \rangle = 0## for ## m\neq n##

That's the hole where you fall, ##V## is an operator, it's not just number. Operating ##V## on ##|\phi_m\rangle## will generally result in another state, i.e. ##V|\phi_m\rangle = |\psi\rangle##, where ##|\psi\rangle## may not very often be connected with ##|\phi_m\rangle## by a mere constant prefactor.

blue_leaf77 said:
That's the hole where you fall, ##V## is an operator, it's not just number. Operating ##V## on ##|\phi_m\rangle## will generally result in another state, i.e. ##V|\phi_m\rangle = |\psi\rangle##, where ##|\psi\rangle## may not very often be connected with ##|\phi_m\rangle## by a mere constant prefactor.
Excellent, thank you very much, that makes sense now. So the operator can change the basis vectors themselves?

Plaetean said:
So the operator can change the basis vectors themselves?
Yes, because ##V## can be any operator.

Likes Plaetean

Related to Time independent perturbation theory

1. What is time independent perturbation theory?

Time independent perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system that has been slightly modified from a known system. It allows for the inclusion of small perturbations, such as an external electric or magnetic field, in the calculation of the system's properties.

2. How does time independent perturbation theory work?

The method involves expanding the Hamiltonian (the operator that represents the total energy of a system) of the modified system as a sum of the Hamiltonian of the known system and a perturbation term. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the perturbed Hamiltonian can then be calculated using a series approximation, taking into account the perturbation term.

3. When is time independent perturbation theory used?

Time independent perturbation theory is used when the perturbations on a system are small enough to be considered a perturbation rather than a major modification. It is commonly used in atomic and molecular physics, as well as in condensed matter physics, to calculate the effects of external fields on the energy levels and properties of a system.

4. What are the limitations of time independent perturbation theory?

Time independent perturbation theory is limited to small perturbations and may not accurately predict the behavior of a system under large perturbations. It also assumes that the perturbation is constant throughout the system, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it can only be applied to systems with discrete energy levels, such as atoms and molecules.

5. Are there any alternative methods to time independent perturbation theory?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the properties of perturbed systems, such as time dependent perturbation theory, variational methods, and numerical techniques like matrix diagonalization. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific system and perturbation being studied.