Time independent perturbation theory (QM)

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the second-order correction of energy in time independent perturbation theory. The result is obtained by expanding the energy and coefficients to second-order and setting higher-order terms to zero. The assumptions made for the first-order correction also apply to the second-order correction, where the initial state is unperturbed and the first-order perturbation only affects the state being considered.
alkamid

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the second-order correction of energy in time independent perturbation theory. My professor did it the Landau's way so I'd rather use his notation (without bra and kets). I already derived the first-order correction:
[tex]E_n^{(1)}=V_{nn}=\int \psi_n^{(0)\star} \hat{V} \psi_n^{(0)}[/tex]

Now, the idea is the same, only this time we expand:
[tex]E=E^{(0)}+E^{(1)}+E^{(2)}[/tex]
[tex]c_n= c_n^{(0)}+ c_n^{(1)}+ c_n^{(2)}[/tex]

What we obtain is (for n=k):
[tex](c_n^{(0)}+c_n^{(1)}+c_n^{(2)})(E_n^{(0)}+E_n^{(1)}+E_n^{(2)}-E_n^{(0)})=\sum_m(c_m^{(0)}+c_m^{(1)}+c_m^{(2)})V_{nm}[/tex]

The result should be:
[tex]E_n^{(2)}c_n^{(0)}=\sum_{m \neq n} V_{nm} c_m^{(1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand what disappears and why in my equation. [tex]c_n^{(2)}[/tex] would create higher-order corrections so I'm not surprised it's gone, same with [tex]c_m^{(2)}[/tex] on RHS. What about the rest though? For the first-order we assumed [tex]c_n^{(0)}=1[/tex] and [tex]c_m^{(1)}=0[/tex] for [tex]m \neq n[/tex], although I'm not sure what those assumptions really mean. Moreover, I don't know if we do the same assumptions for the second-order correction! I wish Landau was more descriptive.

I'd appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your derivation. The reason why the terms with c_n^{(2)} and c_m^{(2)} disappear is because they represent higher-order corrections, as you mentioned. In time independent perturbation theory, we are only interested in the first and second-order corrections to the energy. Therefore, we can ignore these higher-order terms and focus on the first and second-order terms.

As for the assumptions for c_n^{(0)} and c_m^{(1)}, they represent the initial state and first-order perturbation, respectively. In other words, c_n^{(0)}=1 means that the initial state is the unperturbed state, and c_m^{(1)}=0 for m \neq n means that the first-order perturbation only affects the state n.

For the second-order correction, we make the same assumptions. c_n^{(0)}=1 and c_m^{(1)}=0 for m \neq n. This means that we are only considering the effect of the second-order perturbation on the unperturbed state n.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Time independent perturbation theory (QM)

What is time independent perturbation theory (QM)?

Time independent perturbation theory is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a quantum system when it is subjected to a small perturbation or disturbance. It allows us to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a perturbed system by using the known energy levels and wavefunctions of an unperturbed system.

When is time independent perturbation theory used?

Time independent perturbation theory is used when the perturbation in a quantum system is small and can be treated as a perturbation to an otherwise well-understood unperturbed system. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

What is the difference between first and second order time independent perturbation theory?

In first order time independent perturbation theory, we consider only the first-order effects of the perturbation on the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system. In second order perturbation theory, we take into account both the first and second-order effects of the perturbation, leading to more accurate results.

How is time independent perturbation theory applied in practice?

In practice, time independent perturbation theory involves solving the unperturbed system first, then introducing the perturbation and solving for the first and second-order corrections to the energy levels and wavefunctions. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as perturbation series expansions or variational methods.

What are the limitations of time independent perturbation theory?

Time independent perturbation theory is limited to small perturbations and may not accurately predict the behavior of a system when the perturbation is large. It also assumes that the perturbation is time-independent, meaning it does not change with time. Additionally, it may not be applicable to systems with degenerate energy levels or complex potentials.