Time independent perturbation - potential with inner function

In summary, finding the corrected ground state for a perturbed harmonic oscillator with a potential of the form V(x) = λsin(κx) can be done by expressing the potential in terms of ladder operators, using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, and simplifying the expression using the eigenvalue equation for the harmonic oscillator. Good luck with your calculations!
ffia

Homework Statement

I need to find the corrected ground state for perturbed harmonic oscillator (1D) with perturbation of the form V(x) = λ sin(κx), κ>0.

My problem is I have no idea how to handle a potential that has its operator as an inner function.

Homework Equations

The perturbed Hamiltonian of the system:
H = H[itex]_{0}[/itex] + λV = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + λsin(κx).

At least the first correction to the ground state is defined
[itex]\sum\frac{<m| λV |0>}{E_{m}-E_{n}}[/itex] where the sum is taken over m, m goes from 1 to infinity? (m and 0 are states, sorry I couldn't get the latex notation working there)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the ladder operators.
In terms of the ladder operators
x = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{h}{2mω}}{}(a+a^\dagger)[/itex]
But the problem is I don't know how to operate the states when the operators are inside sines argument. I could use the taylor series of sin, but it would leave me with (a+a^\dagger)[itex]^{2n+1}[/itex] and that doesn't seem good either.

Thank you in advance, I'm really stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Handling a potential with an operator as an inner function can be tricky, but there are some techniques you can use to find the corrected ground state in this case.

Firstly, you are correct in using the ladder operators to simplify the Hamiltonian. As you mentioned, you can express the position operator x in terms of the ladder operators a and a†. This allows you to rewrite the potential V(x) as a function of the ladder operators as well. In this case, V(x) = λsin(κx) becomes V(a,a†) = λsin(κ\sqrt{\frac{h}{2mω}}(a+a^\dagger)).

Next, you can use the fact that the ladder operators a and a† commute with each other, but not with the potential V(a,a†). This means that you can use the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula to expand the potential in terms of the ladder operators, which will then allow you to operate on the states.

Finally, you can use the eigenvalue equation for the harmonic oscillator, H|n> = E_n|n>, to simplify the expression for the corrected ground state. This will involve using the relation [H,a] = ℏωa and [H,a†] = -ℏωa†.

I hope this helps guide you in finding the corrected ground state. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Time independent perturbation - potential with inner function

What is time independent perturbation?

Time independent perturbation is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to approximate the behavior of a system when a small perturbation, or change, is applied to its potential function. It allows for the calculation of energy levels and wave functions for the perturbed system based on the known energy levels and wave functions of the unperturbed system.

What is a potential with inner function?

A potential with inner function is a type of potential function used in time independent perturbation. It is a function that contains a variable, typically denoted as λ, that represents the strength of the perturbation. This λ term is often referred to as the "inner function" and can be used to control the magnitude of the perturbation.

How is the perturbation potential calculated?

The perturbation potential is calculated by taking the original potential function of the unperturbed system and adding a term that represents the perturbation. This perturbation term is typically proportional to the strength of the perturbation and can be adjusted using the inner function. The resulting potential function is then used to solve for the energy levels and wave functions of the perturbed system.

What is the purpose of using time independent perturbation?

The purpose of using time independent perturbation is to approximate the behavior of a system when a small perturbation is applied to its potential function. This allows for the calculation of energy levels and wave functions for the perturbed system, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of quantum systems and their interactions with external forces.

What are some applications of time independent perturbation?

Time independent perturbation has many applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of atomic and molecular systems, as well as the behavior of electrons in solid materials. It is also used in calculations for the stability of nuclei and in the study of quantum field theory. Additionally, it has applications in chemistry, physics, and engineering for understanding the behavior of systems under external forces.