Time for boat to make two sets of displacements

In summary, the problem involves a boat moving through a river at a constant velocity, regardless of its direction, and the water in the river flowing at a different velocity. The task is to determine the time it takes for the boat to make a round trip with specific displacements downstream and upstream. The solution involves using the pythagorean theorem to find the resultant vector, and then using distance = velocity * time to calculate the time for each displacement. The total time is found by adding the times for each displacement. The conversation also includes a clarification about measuring speed of a moving object relative to another moving object.
Maiia

Homework Statement

I would really appreciate if someone could check my work for this poblem b.c i seem to be getting the wrong answer.

Problem: A boat moves through a river at 6.1 m/s relative to the water, regardless of the boat's direction. If the water in the river is flowing at 2.4 m/s, how long does it take the boat to make a round trip consisting of a 246 m displacement downstream followed by a 194 m displacement upstream? Answer in units of seconds.

First, I used the pythagorean theorem to find the resultant vector- 6.555150647m/s. Then, used distance=Velocity * time . I plugged in 246m for distance and 2.4m/s for the velocity to get 102.5 sec for time. I did the same thing with the second displacement to get 183.3333333s for time. Then I added them together for a total time of 183.3333333s.

Physics news on Phys.org
If its going down stream then up stream surly that means its going from A to B and then B to A.
If its moving 6.1m/s relative to the water down stream it would be moving at 8.5m/s
up stream it would be moving at 3.7m/s (unless it is taking 6.1m/s as its actual velocity, but then why would you have the speed of the water?).

hmm i kinda follow, but how do you find the time?

With distance = velocity * time. If your having trouble with the boat moving relative to the water think of trying to measure the speed of a car from inside another moving car. If you were measuring car A (30mph) from car B (20mph) it would look like car A is going 10mph.

Related to Time for boat to make two sets of displacements

1. How do you calculate the time for a boat to make two sets of displacements?

The time for a boat to make two sets of displacements can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the boat by its speed. This will give you the time it takes for the boat to make one set of displacements. To find the time for two sets of displacements, simply multiply the calculated time by two.

2. What factors affect the time for a boat to make two sets of displacements?

The time for a boat to make two sets of displacements can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the boat, the distance to be traveled, and external factors like wind and current. The size and weight of the boat also play a role in determining the time for two sets of displacements.

3. Can the time for a boat to make two sets of displacements be reduced?

Yes, the time for a boat to make two sets of displacements can be reduced by increasing the speed of the boat or reducing the distance to be traveled. Other factors such as using more powerful engines or taking advantage of favorable wind and current conditions can also help reduce the time.

4. How does the shape of the boat affect the time for two sets of displacements?

The shape of the boat can have a significant impact on the time for two sets of displacements. Boats with a streamlined and efficient design will have less resistance and can achieve higher speeds, resulting in a shorter time for two sets of displacements compared to boats with a bulky or inefficient design.

5. How does the time for a boat to make two sets of displacements relate to its fuel consumption?

The time for a boat to make two sets of displacements and its fuel consumption are directly related. The longer the time it takes for the boat to make two sets of displacements, the more fuel it will consume. This is because the boat's engines will need to work harder and use more fuel to maintain the required speed for a longer period of time.