Time evolution of hydrogen wave function that is not an energy eigenfunction

In summary: Please help me here. Specifically, what is the normalized linear combination that characterizesψnlm = RnlYlmψnlm is the normalized linear combination and RnlYlm is the coefficient matrix for that linear combination. The subscript "p" probably means that this is a product state.
bier0134
I recently had a probelm in QM to find the time evolution of a hydrogen prepared in a state with a wave function that is not an energy eigenfunction: specifically, psi = Y21*R2p where Y is then the D spherical harmonic. Of course, n=2 hydrogen doesn't have d oribtals.

So the problem is I can't simply apply the time evolution operator e^(-iHt/hbar) to the wave function and replace it with e^(-iEt/hbar), where E is the energy eigenvalue for the particular energy eigenfunction the hydrogen atom is prepared in, because it isn't in an energy eigen state.

So how do I time-develop [A> to [A(t)>?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: that actually can't be done. I'm at a loss as well.

Your initial state can be written as a superposition of energy eigenfunctions:
[tex]|A_i> = \sum<u_n|A_i>|u_n>[/tex]
where Ai is the initial wave function and un are the energy eigenfunctions. Then with time, each energy eigenfunction will evolve with time as [tex]e^{-i E_n/\hbar}[/tex], so:
[tex]|A_i(t)> = \sum<u_n|A_i(0)>|u_n> e^{-i E_n/\hbar}[/tex]

Phyzguy, that's what I initially said but it may be more subtle. The thing is it depends on your hamiltonian. If it's just a coulomb hamiltonian and we're neglecting fine-structure, etc, then you can just apply the time evolution operator to the above state, the energy eigenvalue only depends on the radial part of the wave function. So your time-evolution operator will have the n=2 energy.

But it is not in an energy eigenstate, as you said. So it doesn't have a definite value of energy. The Coulomb interaction does not depend on the angular part, but the [tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2 m}\nabla^2[/tex] part of the Hamiltonian certainly does depend on the angular part. To find the time evolution, you need to do what I said. Each component of the wave function evolves according to its energy.

phyzguy said:
But it is not in an energy eigenstate, as you said. So it doesn't have a definite value of energy. The Coulomb interaction does not depend on the angular part, but the [tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2 m}\nabla^2[/tex] part of the Hamiltonian certainly does depend on the angular part. To find the time evolution, you need to do what I said. Each component of the wave function evolves according to its energy.
That may be so, but the state "psi = Y21*R2p", assuming that it follows the standard notation,

ψnlm = RnlYlm

implies that n =2 and l = 2 which can't be because lmax = n - 1.

However, I am not sure what "p" in R2p means. What does it mean bier0134?

kuruman said:
That may be so, but the state "psi = Y21*R2p", assuming that it follows the standard notation,
ψnlm = RnlYlm
implies that n =2 and l = 2 which can't be because lmax = n - 1.

When you say "it can't be", you are referring to rules which apply only to the energy eigenstates. This state is not an energy eigenstate. The initial wave function can be anything - any combination of states that I want, as long as it is normalized. The question is to determine how the initial state changes with time.

phyzguy said:
When you say "it can't be", you are referring to rules which apply only to the energy eigenstates.
Yes, I am.
This state is not an energy eigenstate. The initial wave function can be anything - any combination of states that I want, as long as it is normalized.
Correct, but it has to be a linear combination of legitimate eigenstates. Any hydrogenic wavefunction that has n = l is illegitimate.
The question is to determine how the initial state changes with time.
Yes indeed, but what do you do if the initial state does not make sense to begin with?

kuruman said:
Yes, I am.

Correct, but it has to be a linear combination of legitimate eigenstates. Any hydrogenic wavefunction that has n = l is illegitimate.

Yes indeed, but what do you do if the initial state does not make sense to begin with?

This initial state does "make sense" The only requirement is that it be normalized to 1, which this state satisfies. It is a linear combination of eigenstates. But the initial state does not have a definite value of either n or l. I suggest you go back and review the basics of QM.

phyzguy said:
This initial state does "make sense" The only requirement is that it be normalized to 1, which this state satisfies. It is a linear combination of eigenstates. But the initial state does not have a definite value of either n or l. I suggest you go back and review the basics of QM.
Please help me here. Specifically, what is the normalized linear combination that characterizes

psi = Y21*R2p

In other words, what are the coefficients and eigenstates that make up the linear combination? What do you think subscript "p" (and all the other subscripts) stand for?

kuruman said:
Please help me here. Specifically, what is the normalized linear combination that characterizes

psi = Y21*R2p

In other words, what are the coefficients and eigenstates that make up the linear combination? What do you think subscript "p" (and all the other subscripts) stand for?

As you said in post 6, the hydrogen eigenfunctions are written:
[tex] \psi_{nlm} = R_{nl} Y_{lm}[/tex]
I assume (bier0134 will have to confirm) that R2p means n=2, l=1, using the spdf notation. So the initial wave function is given by:
[tex] \psi(t=0) = R_{21} Y_{21}[/tex]
As has been said, this is not an energy eigenfunction. To expand this in energy eigenfunction, we use the normal process of expanding a wave function in energy eigenstates, remembering the the Ylm spherical harmonics are all orthogonal, giving:
[tex] \psi(t=0)= \sum_{nlm}<R_{nl}Y_{lm}|R_{21}Y_{21}> |R_{nl}Y_{lm}> = \sum_{n}<R_{n2}|R_{21}> |R_{n2}>[/tex]
So you need to calculate the radial integrals of each Rn2 with the initial radial wave function R21. This will give the component of the initial wave function contained in each Rnd eigenstate. Do you see?

I see.

Related to Time evolution of hydrogen wave function that is not an energy eigenfunction

What is the significance of studying the time evolution of a hydrogen wave function?

The time evolution of a hydrogen wave function provides valuable insight into the behavior and properties of the hydrogen atom. It allows us to understand how the electron's position and energy state change over time, and how it interacts with the nucleus.

What is a non-energy eigenfunction in the context of hydrogen wave function?

In quantum mechanics, an energy eigenfunction is a state in which a particle has a definite energy. A non-energy eigenfunction, on the other hand, is a state in which the energy of the particle is not precisely defined. In the context of hydrogen wave function, a non-energy eigenfunction represents a superposition of multiple energy states, which leads to a more complex time evolution.

How does the time evolution of a non-energy eigenfunction differ from that of an energy eigenfunction?

The time evolution of a non-energy eigenfunction is more complex and involves a combination of different energy states, while an energy eigenfunction evolves in a predictable and straightforward manner. Additionally, a non-energy eigenfunction may exhibit oscillatory behavior, which is not observed in the time evolution of an energy eigenfunction.

What factors influence the time evolution of a hydrogen wave function that is not an energy eigenfunction?

The time evolution of a non-energy eigenfunction is influenced by the initial conditions of the system, such as the shape and amplitude of the wave function, as well as external forces and interactions with other particles. These factors can cause the wave function to change over time and result in a complex time evolution.

Why is it important to understand the time evolution of hydrogen wave function that is not an energy eigenfunction?

Studying the time evolution of a non-energy eigenfunction is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems, as it provides a more comprehensive understanding of how particles behave in the presence of multiple energy states. Additionally, this knowledge is essential for practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and chemistry.