Time evolution of density matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses two parts of a problem from Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, focusing on proving the time evolution of the density operator in the Schrodinger picture and showing that a pure ensemble cannot evolve into a mixed ensemble if governed by the Schrodinger equation. The solution involves using the state |α^{i}> at some time t and the trace of ρ^{2}. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing some doubt about their solution, but it is confirmed to be correct.
beans73

Homework Statement

Hi there. just working on a problem from sakurai's modern quantum mechanics. it is:

A) Prove that the time evolution of the density operator ρ (in the Schrodinger picture) is given by
[itex]ρ(t)=U(t,t_{0})ρ(t_{0})U^\dagger(t,t_{0})[/itex]

B) Suppose that we have a pure ensemble at t=0. Prove that it cannot evolve into a mixed ensemble as long as the time evolution is governed by the Schrodinger equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working out:

part a) ok, so what I've done is simply say the state |α[itex]^{i}>[/itex] at some time t can be described as:

[itex]|α^{i};t>=U(t)|α^{i};t_{0}>[/itex]

Knowing that:
[itex]ρ(t)=\sum w_{i}|α^{i}><α^{i}|[/itex]

then
[itex]ρ(t)=\sum w_{i}U(t)|α^{i};t_{0}><α^{i};t_{0}|U^\dagger(t)[/itex]
[itex]ρ(t)=U(t,t_{0})ρ(t_{0})U^\dagger(t,t_{0})[/itex]

part b)
for this i looked at the trace of ρ[itex]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]tr(ρ^{2}))=tr(U(t)ρ(t_{0})U^\dagger(t)Uρ(t_{0})U^\dagger)[/itex]
[itex]tr(ρ^{2}))=tr(ρ(t_{0})ρ(t_{0})U^\dagger(t)U(t)[/itex]
[itex]tr(ρ^{2}))=tr(ρ^{2}(t_{0}))[/itex]all the other questions i have been given in this class have taken a couple of pages worth of working out, and that has made me paranoid that I'm over-simplifying this problem and possibly missing something. any feedback would be much appreciated.

cheers guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That all looks good to me. Alternatively, for part (b) you could try to show that the pure state condition [itex]ρ^{2}=ρ[/itex] holds at all times if it holds at ##t = t_0##.

Related to Time evolution of density matrix

1. What is the density matrix in quantum mechanics?

The density matrix is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. It is a matrix that contains information about the probabilities for a quantum system to be in different states. It takes into account the quantum mechanical concept of superposition, where a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. What is the significance of time evolution in density matrix?

The time evolution of the density matrix is important because it allows us to study how the state of a quantum system changes over time. It is based on the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the quantum state of a system evolves over time. By analyzing the time evolution of the density matrix, we can make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system at different points in time.

3. How is the time evolution of density matrix different from that of wave function?

The time evolution of the density matrix and the wave function are both related to the quantum state of a system, but they are not the same. The wave function describes the state of a single quantum system, while the density matrix can describe the state of multiple quantum systems. Additionally, the wave function is a complex-valued function, while the density matrix is a matrix of probabilities.

4. What factors can influence the time evolution of the density matrix?

The time evolution of the density matrix can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the Hamiltonian of the system (which represents the total energy of the system), external forces acting on the system, and interactions with other quantum systems. These factors can cause the state of the system to change over time, which is reflected in the time evolution of the density matrix.

5. How is the time evolution of the density matrix experimentally observed?

The time evolution of the density matrix can be observed through various experimental techniques in quantum mechanics, such as quantum state tomography or quantum state estimation. These techniques involve measuring the properties of a quantum system at different points in time and using the data to reconstruct the time evolution of the density matrix. This allows scientists to verify the predictions made by the Schrödinger equation and gain a better understanding of the behavior of quantum systems.