Time elapsed for observer (from POV of Traveler)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of elapsed time from the point of view of an observer and a traveler moving at close to the speed of light. The question is whether the traveler, who sees their own clock elapse 30 seconds, would see the observer's clock elapse 15 seconds if they were moving away from each other. The answer involves taking into account the relativistic Doppler formula and the Lorentz factor, which results in the observer's clock always appearing to be slower. The conversation also mentions the use of measuring instruments to determine the clock rate.
Wakefulpanda
Hey guys,

I have a question about elapsed time of the observer from the POV of the traveler.

To make things simple I'll just basically explain what my question is.

Person A is the observer (on earth) and person B is the traveler (flying at close to the speed of light)

Person A's clock elapses 1 minute. Person A sees person B's clock elapse 30 seconds. (I'm just using these times as an easier example)

In Person A's frame of reference he/himself has aged 1 minute and person B has aged 30 seconds.

Person B sitting aboard his spacecraft sees that for him 30 seconds have passed.

Now here is my question. If person B (traveling) were to observe person A (on earth) would person B (seeing that his clock elapsed 30 seconds) see person A's clock elapse 15 seconds? Since A is moving away from B (in B's frame of reference) B should see A's clock slowing.

If I am confusing something in my writing or confusing you with the question let me know.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question depends on what you mean by 'see'. Seeing as by using a measuring instrument would give a different clock rate based on the relativistic Doppler formula, in this case the other clock may be faster or slower depending on the direction of travel. However by taking into account light travel time you would have to apply the Lorentz factor, in this case the clock rate is always slower.

Passionflower said:
Your question depends on what you mean by 'see'. Seeing as by using a measuring instrument would give a different clock rate based on the relativistic Doppler formula, in this case the other clock may be faster or slower depending on the direction of travel. However by taking into account light travel time you would have to apply the Lorentz factor, in this case the clock rate is always slower.

Thank you for your speedy reply to my question. Yes my question is based on the assumption that person B is traveling away from person A. This is yet another situation that is confusing me. A sees 1 minute pass for himself, A sees 30 seconds pass for B. B sees 30 seconds pass for himself, B sees 15 seconds pass for A. (And by sees I mean any instrument to measure, theoretical or otherwise)

Right now my brain is all sorts of confused. I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Last edited:

Related to Time elapsed for observer (from POV of Traveler)

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for different observers. This occurs due to the effects of relative motion and gravity on the passage of time.

How does time dilation affect an observer?

From the perspective of an observer, time dilation can cause time to appear to pass slower or faster depending on their relative motion and the strength of gravity in their environment. This effect can also result in differences in aging and the synchronization of clocks between different observers.

What is the difference between time dilation and time travel?

Time dilation and time travel are two distinct concepts. Time dilation refers to the difference in time experienced by different observers due to relative motion or gravity, while time travel involves the ability to physically travel to different points in time.

How is time dilation related to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, predicts the phenomenon of time dilation. This theory states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

Can time dilation be observed or measured?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in various experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. This experiment involved atomic clocks being flown on commercial airplanes in opposite directions, and the results showed a small but significant difference in the time recorded by the clocks due to their relative motion.