Time Dilation: SR Basics & Confusion

In summary, the twin paradox is a paradox that revolves around the question of which astronaut aged more slowly.
thrush
Hi everybody,

I'm learning Special Relativity, and probably ok with four vectors, the metric equation, the Lorentz Transform, and the Doppler shift, etc., but enough about me.

I'm still a little confused about time dilation. In several hypothetical examples of SR that I have seen, two spaceships, call them A, and B, are traveling apart. From A's frame, B's velocity is 0.9C, and B's spaceship has contracted in length and increased in mass. From B's frame, A's velocity is 0.9C, and A's spaceship has contracted in length and increased in mass. When both slow down so that the relative velocity becomes zero, all is back to 'normal' and they then occupy the same reference frame (with standard orientation, as some say).

But what about time? From A's frame, time is slowed on B's spacecraft . But from B's frame, time is slowed on A's spacecraft . Would it not then be the case that their clocks would read identically even until their relative velocities became zero again? Which astronaut aged more slowly? Do not these examples about an astronaut aging more slowly on a high speed round-trip imply that she is moving with respect to some more fundamental frame upon which we sit back here on Earth? And does not SR imply that there is no "fundamental frame?"

I know this must be a thread many times here, apologies, but clearly I am missing something. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find out about the so called 'twin paradox'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox.[/PLAIN]

Relativity is not about time-dilation and length contraction. These are just linked coordinate effects of the Lorentz transformation that connects any two inertial frames' coordinates. The important things are those that are *not* dependent on which observer measures them.

The most important ( for some) is the fact that every clock measures its own time, which is a mathematical function of the spacetime length of its four dimensional path through spacetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pointer Mentz114! No need to beat a dead horse here, close this thread/delete it. You have given me plenty to chew on!

Related to Time Dilation: SR Basics & Confusion

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for observers moving at different speeds. This is a fundamental principle of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does time dilation occur?

According to special relativity, as an object's speed increases, time appears to slow down for that object. This is because the speed of light is constant for all observers, so as an object moves faster, it takes longer for light to travel between points, resulting in a perceived slowing of time.

3. What is the equation for time dilation?

The equation for time dilation is: t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the time measured by the moving observer, t is the time measured by the stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two observers, and c is the speed of light.

4. Is time dilation just a theory or has it been proven?

Time dilation is a well-established scientific principle that has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. It has been confirmed by high-precision experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, and is also an important factor in the functioning of technologies like GPS.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small at everyday speeds. For example, GPS satellites orbiting the Earth experience time dilation, which must be taken into account for accurate location calculations. Additionally, cosmic rays and other high-speed particles that constantly bombard Earth's atmosphere can also cause tiny amounts of time dilation.