Time dilation, reference frames

In summary: If we're talking about the text as a whole, then no. But if we're talking about the specific question, then that's the implication.
casualreader
Hi,
Basic question.
I'm confused by a time dilation example (37.3 in Young and Freedman 11th ed.). Mavis is moving at .600c relative to earth-bound Stanley, and at the instant she passes, both start timers. Part b asks "At the instant when Mavis reads .400 s on her timer, what does Stanley read on his?" The answer they get is .320 s.

My question is, doesn't this depend on what reference frame you're in? I think for the .320 s answer you'd need to assume we're in Mavis' frame. (Somehow the textbook's reasoning is not transparent to me.)

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
casualreader said:
Hi,
Basic question.
I'm confused by a time dilation example (37.3 in Young and Freedman 11th ed.). Mavis is moving at .600c relative to earth-bound Stanley, and at the instant she passes, both start timers. Part b asks "At the instant when Mavis reads .400 s on her timer, what does Stanley read on his?" The answer they get is .320 s.

My question is, doesn't this depend on what reference frame you're in? I think for the .320 s answer you'd need to assume we're in Mavis' frame. (Somehow the textbook's reasoning is not transparent to me.)

Thanks in advance...
You don't sound confused to me. You got everything correct.

Here's a couple spacetime diagrams depicting the scenario from the two Inertial Reference Frames (IRF's) under consideration. First is Stanley's Earth frame. Stanley is shown in blue with dots every tenth of a second of his Proper Time and Mavis is shown in red with similar dots:

attachment.php?attachmentid=59288&stc=1&d=1370393992.png

You can see that when Mavis's red clock is at 0.4 seconds, Stanley's blue clock would be at 0.5 seconds (but I didn't drawn that in).

Now for Mavis's rest frame:

attachment.php?attachmentid=59289&stc=1&d=1370394201.png

Now you can see that when Mavis's red clock is at 0.4 seconds, Stanley's blue clock is at 0.32 seconds.

Attachments

• Young&Freedman37.3A.PNG
    Young&Freedman37.3A.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 510
  • Young&Freedman37.3B.PNG
    Young&Freedman37.3B.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 584
Thanks a bunch, ghwellsjr, much appreciated. I wasn't sure if I was going to be reassured or if I was somehow wrong. Definitely reassured.

You're welcome.

casualreader said:
Hi,
Basic question.

Thanks in advance...

I thought the wording implied that the author was talking about Mavis's instant of time (Mavis's simultaneous space), which means at Mavis's instant of time and in her instantaneous 3-D world, Stanley was seeing 0.320 s on his clock. I don't see how you could interpret this as Stanley's instant.

Okay, thanks for the input bobc2. Well I didn't see that the wording specified either Mavis's or Stanley's frame. Is it because the question starts with Mavis?; so would "What does Stanley read on his timer at the instant when Mavis reads .400s on her timer?" be the way of implying "in Stanley's frame"?

Related to Time dilation, reference frames

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass at different rates for an observer in different reference frames. This is due to the effects of gravity and relative motion on the flow of time.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because of the relative nature of time and space. The faster an object moves or the stronger the gravitational pull on it, the slower time will pass for that object compared to a stationary observer.

3. What are reference frames?

Reference frames are a set of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of an object in space and time. They are used as a frame of reference to measure the position and motion of other objects in relation to it.

4. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation has a significant impact on space travel. As a spacecraft travels at high speeds or enters regions with strong gravitational fields, time will appear to pass slower for the astronauts on board compared to those on Earth. This means that astronauts will age slower than people on Earth, leading to the concept of time travel into the future.

5. Can time dilation be observed or measured?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in various experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. The effects of time dilation are also taken into account in the functioning of GPS satellites, which need to account for the differences in time due to their high speeds and distance from Earth.