Time Dilation: Hafele-Keating Experiments

In summary, Maaruk asks if the Hafele-Keating experiments, which use a cesium beam atomic clock, work on the same basic principle as the light clock thought experiment. The experts explain that while cesium clocks are not light clocks, they have been compared to them in various reference frames and are equivalent. They also highlight the importance of asking accurate questions in order to better understand the principles at play.
Maaruk
Hi, I went ahead and read through all the similar discussions and none are on this particular topic so I'll go ahead and shoot. I did find this topic as well, but my question is pretty simple.

I think I understand how time dilation works, I read through the explanation here, this jives with the explanation provided in this World Science Festival panel in this video (it starts at around 11:30 if the link didn't work). This is the light clock thought experiment where it shows why a light particle in the moving clock is bouncing slower than the one in the stationary clock. This makes sense to me, and I wondered if the Hafele-Keating experiments which use a cesium beam atomic clocks work on the same basic principle described?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maaruk said:
... I wondered if the Hafele-Keating experiments which use a cesium beam atomic clocks work on the same basic principle described?
Why would they behave any differently?

Hi Maaruk, welcome to PF, and thank you for taking the time to dig around a bit and come with a thoughtful question!

So the hypothetical clock which is a pulse of light bouncing back and forth is called a light clock. It is primarily meant to be an easy to analyze teaching tool. As far as I know there is not any such clock built that actually works that way. However, assuming that the principle of relativity is true then if a light clock slows down in a reference frame then so must all other comoving clocks.

Edit: I just had a thought that you could consider the microwave cavity to be a kind of mirror arrangement

Likes Maaruk and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
Why would they behave any differently?

From the description of the atomic clock used in the H-K experiment it wasn't clear to me whether the cesium clock uses the same metronomic principle as the light clock.

Dale said:
Hi Maaruk, welcome to PF, and thank you for taking the time to dig around a bit and come with a thoughtful question!

So the hypothetical clock which is a pulse of light bouncing back and forth is called a light clock. It is primarily meant to be an easy to analyze teaching tool. As far as I know there is not any such clock built that actually works that way. However, assuming that the principle of relativity is true then if a light clock slows down in a reference frame then so must all other comoving clocks.

Edit: I just had a thought that you could consider the microwave cavity to be a kind of mirror arrangement

Thank you for the welcome.

I definitely appreciated how easy the light clock concept was to understand, and why movement would affect its measurement of time. I just wasn't clear on whether the atomic clock in the H-K experiment operates with roughly the same principle and something very similar to the light clock thought experiment is happening in the H-K experiment. Maybe more clearly, are the mechanisms of the light clock and the cesium clock roughly the same? I think I see what you are saying about the microwave cavity, I read through 5 different descriptions of the cesium clock and I still wasn't sure so I thought I would find someplace to ask :biggrin:

Maaruk said:
From the description of the atomic clock used in the H-K experiment it wasn't clear to me whether the cesium clock uses the same metronomic principle as the light clock.
Cesium clocks are not light clocks, but they have been compared to light clocks in various reference frames: They are equivalent.

Thanks guys, very helpful. Asking accurate questions is very helpful, and I know sometimes I do not ask accurate questions. Plus it doesn't help that I am usually a mess of terminology but I generally know what I mean by something. Thanks again.

Likes berkeman and DaveC426913
Maaruk said:
Thanks guys, very helpful. Asking accurate questions is very helpful, and I know sometimes I do not ask accurate questions. Plus it doesn't help that I am usually a mess of terminology but I generally know what I mean by something. Thanks again.
Your first thread here is exemplary -- Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Maaruk said:
I just wasn't clear on whether the atomic clock in the H-K experiment operates with roughly the same principle
As mfb says, they are definitely not the same. For the light clock, the point is that you can use the second postulate to analyze how the clock rate changes with speed and then you use the first postulate to extend that analysis to atomic clocks (or any other kind)

Related to Time Dilation: Hafele-Keating Experiments

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in motion relative to each other. This means that time can seem to move slower for an object that is moving at high speeds compared to a stationary object.

What are the Hafele-Keating experiments?

The Hafele-Keating experiments were a series of experiments conducted in 1971 to test the effects of time dilation predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. They involved sending atomic clocks on flights around the world and comparing them to stationary clocks to measure any differences in time.

What were the results of the Hafele-Keating experiments?

The results of the Hafele-Keating experiments confirmed the predictions of Einstein's theory of relativity. The clocks that were on flights that traveled eastward showed a slightly slower passage of time compared to the stationary clocks, while the clocks on flights that traveled westward showed a slightly faster passage of time.

How does time dilation affect GPS systems?

Time dilation has a significant impact on GPS systems. The satellites that make up the GPS system travel at very high speeds relative to the surface of the Earth, causing time to pass at a slightly slower rate for them. This difference in time must be accounted for in order for the GPS system to function accurately.

What are the practical implications of time dilation?

Time dilation is an important factor to consider in many areas, such as space travel, particle accelerators, and GPS systems. It also has implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of time itself. The effects of time dilation must be taken into account in order for precise measurements and calculations to be made in these areas.